+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tannoy Turnberry SE earth connection?

I'm Anthony.

Default Tannoy Turnberry SE earth connection?

I acquired a 2012 pair of Tannoy Turnberry SE's last year and noted in passing the "random" earth connection next to the cable binding posts but have ignored this since.

I have been experimenting with different speaker cables, bi-wiring and single wiring, so happened to browse the manual the other day and noted that "benefits may be gained" by connecting the earth connection to the amplifier chassis or other earth. I am very much enjoying the performance of the speakers as is and have no problems but was curious to see if it was worth giving this a go. Not sure how to earth to the amplifier chassis but my Linn Lingo 3 has an earth terminal on the rear. None of my other kit, except for my Arkless Turbo phono stage has a specific earth terminal.

Before I waste my time or blow anything up I wondered if more knowledgeable folk might have experience of this option and if the earth terminal on the Lingo would be suitable. Many thanks.

Cheers

I'm Paul.

Don't waste your time. It simply earths the driver chassis. There's little, if any merit in doing so unless you are subject to lots of RFI. Grounding the chassis is said to provide voice coil shielding. How effective that actually would be at increasing S/N ratio is debateable considering that the loudspeaker connection is a higher voltage, higher current circuit than say the audio signal through interconnects and unless you also shield your speaker cable, then RFI of that magnitude would already be coupled to the voicecoil! (ie to work, it really relies on the loudspeaker cable also being shielded).

I'm Anthony.

Paul,

Thanks for your sound advice. Perhaps I will just listen to some music this evening instead.

Cheers

I'm Dave.

"benefits MAY be gained" just about sums it up. Not worth the effort IMO.

I'm Peter.

Same on my Canterburys. When I got them, I assumed that such a traditional, engineering-based company would have very good reasons for providing such a facility. I mean, they're hardly a brand that jumps on the latest fad and fashion, are they? So, I hooked it all up and sat back to listen and evaluate the promised benefits to be gained, and ... well, I never actually heard any difference at all ... no matter how carefully I listened. Although my system is usually very revealing of even small changes, this one completely eluded me, I'm afraid. As Paul says, unless you happen to live next to a high power radio transmitter, it's probably a waste of time bothering with it.

I'm Shane.

My father's Tannoy Sandringham speakers, had the same earth connection on the rear. It was simply ignored!

S.

I'm Anthony.

Spent the time listening to Porcupine Tree instead.

Cheers

+ Reply to Thread