+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High mass plinth for the Thorens TD124

I'm Josie.

Default High mass plinth for the Thorens TD124

Hi all.

Does anyone know of a nice, quality (and decently priced) high mass plinth for the TD124?

There are plenty around but just trying to find the best type, make.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

I'm Dave.

I've seen some posted on E-Bay which look to be good value.

Sorry, can't think of the name.

I'm Hugo.

There is a chap in Moldova who makes nice TD-124 plinths - here's one of his on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Plinth-for-T...cAAOSwT6pVislK

I have a solid plinth from Jim Campbell in the States, which is quite close to the 'conical' profile of the old Ortofon ST104 plinth, and works very well indeed. Jim does not seem to have them listed on eBay any more, but it might be worth contacting him to ask if he still makes them - see http://www.ebay.com/sch/jec965/m.htm...1&_ipg=&_from=

Personally, I like the small footprint of a solid ST-104 style plinth and the sloping sides complete the look. IME you don't need to go any more physically massive than this. Place the whole thing on a set of Townshend Seismic Pods for full isolation from structure-borne vibration and you have one of the world's finest turntables. My TD-124, with FR64S arm astonishes me every time I hear it.

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by Ammonite Acoustics View Post
    My TD-124, with FR64S arm astonishes me every time I hear it.
    Agreed ... hearing the very same combination in a heavy plinth was the inspiration for getting my own FR64S.

montesquieu Guest

I have a nice one, very heavy (it's drilled and filled with lead shot). Rounded edges but wider than the normal Thorens plinth. Rubber feet and IEC socket fitted.

It sounded lovely with mine, I had it several years and only changed to better accommodate a second arm - I had a pod fitted at the back but decided to go for a bigger plinth in the end.

If you are interested Josie let me know it's sitting in the garage doing nothing.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

In my experience, the TD 124/II is largely immune to changes of plinth. But if you forgo the use of the rubber 'mushrooms' and couple directly to the plinth, then I can well believe a heavy plinth is preferable to a lightweight one.
    Barry

I'm Jack.

Default Granite plinth for TD124

I have a pair of TD124s installed in a DJ style ' console '. They are bolted direct (ie w/o gromits) to granite plinths or 'top plates' which are themselves dropped into a pine (or is it oak?) hallway unit - the whole caboodle painted matt black.

Speedysteve helped with final installation, trimming the granite with an anglegrinder, drilling large holes for cable passage, and finishing off.

I chose granite because its cheap and available and i'd had success with it on another TD124 (which was demonstrated at Scalford).

I havent compared mine with any other plinth material, however. I suspect slate would be as good if not better.

One of the decks has a Wilson Benesch Act .5 equipped with the ubiquitous AT33PTG. I think its pretty good. It is said that the TD124 can get away with less damping than the Garrard idlers because it is partly belt driven.

One thing I do with my TD124s is remove the flimsy top platter that is only there as part of a fast start up and cuing system that has no place in a domestic system. (The lever at 9 o'oclock is what the DJ pulled to drop this piece of thin aluminium with the record and stylus sitting on the first groove onto an already spinning sub platter.)

Doing this does create the problem that the platter is now too low in relation to the arm board - so you have to build the platter up and/or use a suitable spacer between cartridge and headshell to restore the necessary clearance.

Jack NSM

I'm Jack.

Default Granite plinth for TD124

I have a pair of TD124s installed in a DJ style ' console '. They are bolted direct (ie w/o gromits) to granite plinths or 'top plates' which are themselves dropped into a pine (or is it oak?) hallway unit - the whole caboodle painted matt black.

Speedysteve helped with final installation, trimming the granite with an anglegrinder, drilling large holes for cable passage, and finishing off.

I chose granite because its cheap and available and i'd had success with it on another TD124 (which was demonstrated at Scalford).

I havent compared mine with any other plinth material, however. I suspect slate would be as good if not better.

One of the decks has a Wilson Benesch Act .5 equipped with the ubiquitous AT33PTG. I think its pretty good. It is said that the TD124 can get away with less damping than the Garrard idlers because it is partly belt driven.

One thing I do with my TD124s is remove the flimsy top platter that is only there as part of a fast start up and cuing system that has no place in a domestic system. (The lever at 9 o'oclock is what the DJ pulled to drop this piece of thin aluminium with the record and stylus sitting on the first groove onto an already spinning sub platter.)

Doing this does create the problem that the platter is now too low in relation to the arm board - so you have to build the platter up and/or use a suitable spacer between cartridge and headshell to restore the necessary clearance.

Jack NSM

I'm Josie.

Hi Jack.

Thanks for the note. I love using the clutch, to me it's a major part of using the deck. I wouldn't be without it.

Do you use a slip mat then or do you switch off the deck when changing records?
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I'm in the middle of setting up one of my TD124/IIs in one of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2525882432...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The beautiful black Japanese lacquer finish is immaculate, as is the build quality and the cost very reasonable. Will install an SME M-12R on the LHS and either an SME3009 or a Breuer Dynamic 5A arm on the turntable armboard.

The plinth is of solid Bastin-style construction and weighs 11.4Kg; nearly 50% heavier than the TT.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast