+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My digital journey

I'm Eitan.

Question My digital journey

I've come to a crossroads in a my journey with digital audio. I'll explain what I mean in a moment, but I quickly want to share with you the DACs I've used in my system.

My first serious piece of outboard DAC gear was an Emotiva XDA-2. The company is known for its deal-direct model and its well-priced power amps. Sadly the XDA-2 never worked for me. It was a little titled to the upper frequencie, tended to be a bit unnatural and harsh sounding with vocals, especially of the feminine variety. Around the same time I acquired a Peachtree DAC It X and a Rega DAC, two pieces of gear that fitted very well into their respective systems. The Peachtree offered hi-res audio over USB and was remarkably well-balanced for an ESS Sabre DAC, carefully treading the line between detail retrieval and musicality. The Rega was easily the best of them all, with a wonderfully warm, 'analogue' tone, PRAT and sufficient detail to keep me happy...

Happy that is until I borrowed a friend's Theta DS Pro Generation III DAC, which showed up the limitations of the DACs I owned and demonstrated what more mileage I could get out of my system.

I searched online for Theta DACs, and found they were less common than I expected (older resistor ladder DACs are now en vogue, I see). But I did get my hands on a loan Theta DS Pro Basic III. Expecting a silver bullet, I sold my Peachtree and Rega to free up funds. The problem: the Basic was no Gen III. It was colder, more analytical sounding and lacked the top-to-bottom eveness of the Gen model.

I now consider myself DAC-less, though I do have an Enlightened Audio Design DSP 7000 MK II DAC to fill in for now. What I do know is that it's not MY end-game DAC, I have some research to do.

I feel I have two options: find a legacy DAC of the quality of the Theta Gen III or look at newer (probably more expensive alternatives) that combine resistor ladder/multibit architecture with modern connectivity options (24 bit / 192 khz).

What I know is that I'm looking for: weighty bass, large soundstage, a good trade-off between warmth and detail and importantly good drive and dynamics. Vivid tonal colours are a plus, but not always achievable within my budget limitation (800 pounds).

I'd welcome some guidance and advice on how to proceed. I'd also love to hear your digital journey - please share your experiences

Eitan
    Speakers: WLM Audio / Amp: Unison Research S6 / Sources:
    Technics SL1200 + Rega RB300 arm + Sumiko Blueprint 2 Evo III + Pro-Ject Phono Box RS
    NAD C515BEE + EAD DSP 7000 MKII / M2Tech Hiface 2 + EAD DSP 7000 MKII

I'm Grant.

Have you tried the monarchy ones? They are similar to theta but better. Alas getting thin on ground too .was probably the nicest sounding ive had
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Mike.

Default My digital journey

Eitan, i have also been on a quest for a well sounding DAC to combine with Roon Labs. My reference is my still going strong Bladelius Embla solid state disc spinner, which also does UPnP and DAC duties.
    Its user interface is somewhat long in the tooth though.

The Embla features dual DACs, selectable in software, and they still sound very, very nice even though this machine was launched in -09!
    Its not in the DAC chips, it's all about the implementation!

Anyway, Embla Classic have three selectable DAC modes, the first one mimics the Bladelius Gondul, a very highly regarded disc spinner.
    This mode is dynamic, clear and somewhat 'mechanical' sounding.

The second mode is a 'softer' DAC mode using a Wolfson DAC chip. Not bad, and quite enjoyable, particularly if you turn off upsampling (individually selectable for each mode) Sounds VERY much like older NOS DACs, such as the famed TDA-1541. Not as highly resolving and nuanced though, but very 'musical'

Lastly, there's a specially filtered mode which eliminates pre-ringing and this mode is the 'go to' mode where most music works beautifully with an naturalness much like analog sources. It doesnt sound like LP or master tape, but in that direction.

I have tried replacing this expensive machinery since i sold my first one in 2014. Many DACs and players have passed through but none have lived up to the Embla Classic.
    The Pioneer N-70 is an excellent DAC in itself with streaming possibilities and it did sound very nice. Close, but no cigar though!
    Benchmark DAC1 is still a very nice DAC to my ears, it may lack a bit i musicality though. Cheap as chips these days!
    M2 Tech Young DSD was on home loan a couple of weeks, but that one did not make an impression at all.
    I have also had a Rega DAC on home loan but that really is not to my taste. :/ Sorry!
    Chord QBD76 then? Yes, why not? I liked this one, but it was not as flexible in formats and resolutions as the Embla. I wouldnt say it was better either, more like 'different'

Finally i decided to try an unknown brand as the developer had some cred in the business; The Audiobyte Black Dragon.
    The guy is from Romania and has been involved in many high end brands development teams, such as MSB and Theta. He builds his more dire brand Rockna with ladder DACs but the Audiobyte is aimed at a more cost conscious customer som theres no room for ladder DACs there. It has however inherited a very nice filtering technique from the Rockna series. It uses a FPGA to build software based filtering for all inputs, which are plenty by the way. It also sports a femto grade clock internally for very low jitter.
    The power supply is also very elaborate with lots and lots of ultra low noise regulators. The DACs are dual AK4396 as the Black Dragon is fully balanced, each working one channel. Output stage is running in class A and you need a pretty good preamp to better the internal volume control.
    Theres also a headphone output on the front if you like, capable of driving lots of headphones, but it does have some diffculties with planar magnetic phones though, at least my Hifiman HE-1000s.

This is the first DAC that has actually bettered the Embla in my setup, and it does so at about the fifth of the cost! Huge soundstage when called for, great bass and excellent balance in its sound. Detail retreival is better than good, but never sacrificing good music in the process. Dynamic slam and power, yupp, very nice.
    It got to go head to head with an MSB Diamond DAC V with PSU a couple of months ago and while bettered, there was no shame on its performance. Rather, the MSB really should have made more of an impression but was only slightly better (in most areas though)

There are som pics in my Gallery thread if your curious, but i highly recommend hearing one of these if possible? It barely makes your budget, but im pretty sure you would be impressed enough to stretch a little!
    Last edited by AlfaGTV; 27-11-2016 at 08:49.

I'm Gary.

Great post Mike.
    The Audiobyte's my next Dac.

Quote Originally Posted by AlfaGTV View Post
    Eitan, i have also been on a quest for a well sounding DAC to combine with Roon Labs. My reference is my still going strong Bladelius Embla solid state disc spinner, which also does UPnP and DAC duties.
    Its user interface is somewhat long in the tooth though.

The Embla features dual DACs, selectable in software, and they still sound very, very nice even though this machine was launched in -09!
    Its not in the DAC chips, it's all about the implementation!

Anyway, Embla Classic have three selectable DAC modes, the first one mimics the Bladelius Gondul, a very highly regarded disc spinner.
    This mode is dynamic, clear and somewhat 'mechanical' sounding.

The second mode is a 'softer' DAC mode using a Wolfson DAC chip. Not bad, and quite enjoyable, particularly if you turn off upsampling (individually selectable for each mode) Sounds VERY much like older NOS DACs, such as the famed TDA-1541. Not as highly resolving and nuanced though, but very 'musical'

Lastly, there's a specially filtered mode which eliminates pre-ringing and this mode is the 'go to' mode where most music works beautifully with an naturalness much like analog sources. It doesnt sound like LP or master tape, but in that direction.

I have tried replacing this expensive machinery since i sold my first one in 2014. Many DACs and players have passed through but none have lived up to the Embla Classic.
    The Pioneer N-70 is an excellent DAC in itself with streaming possibilities and it did sound very nice. Close, but no cigar though!
    Benchmark DAC1 is still a very nice DAC to my ears, it may lack a bit i musicality though. Cheap as chips these days!
    M2 Tech Young DSD was on home loan a couple of weeks, but that one did not make an impression at all.
    I have also had a Rega DAC on home loan but that really is not to my taste. :/ Sorry!
    Chord QBD76 then? Yes, why not? I liked this one, but it was not as flexible in formats and resolutions as the Embla. I wouldnt say it was better either, more like 'different'

Finally i decided to try an unknown brand as the developer had some cred in the business; The Audiobyte Black Dragon.
    The guy is from Romania and has been involved in many high end brands development teams, such as MSB and Theta. He builds his more dire brand Rockna with ladder DACs but the Audiobyte is aimed at a more cost conscious customer som theres no room for ladder DACs there. It has however inherited a very nice filtering technique from the Rockna series. It uses a FPGA to build software based filtering for all inputs, which are plenty by the way. It also sports a femto grade clock internally for very low jitter.
    The power supply is also very elaborate with lots and lots of ultra low noise regulators. The DACs are dual AK4396 as the Black Dragon is fully balanced, each working one channel. Output stage is running in class A and you need a pretty good preamp to better the internal volume control.
    Theres also a headphone output on the front if you like, capable of driving lots of headphones, but it does have some diffculties with planar magnetic phones though, at least my Hifiman HE-1000s.

This is the first DAC that has actually bettered the Embla in my setup, and it does so at about the fifth of the cost! Huge soundstage when called for, great bass and excellent balance in its sound. Detail retreival is better than good, but never sacrificing good music in the process. Dynamic slam and power, yupp, very nice.
    It got to go head to head with an MSB Diamond DAC V with PSU a couple of months ago and while bettered, there was no shame on its performance. Rather, the MSB really should have made more of an impression but was only slightly better (in most areas though)

There are som pics in my Gallery thread if your curious, but i highly recommend hearing one of these if possible? It barely makes your budget, but im pretty sure you would be impressed enough to stretch a little!
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Mike.

Thx Gary, though i always recommend a listen in your own environment of course! Our taste buds may differ!

I'm Neil.

To the OP: Just get a Theta Gen V, and you can be done with it.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by AlfaGTV View Post
    Thx Gary, though i always recommend a listen in your own environment of course! Our taste buds may differ!
    Of course Mike.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

+ Reply to Thread