+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Which country in the 1970s made the best hifi components?

I'm Dan.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    Yes, some very nice Quad stuff produced in the 70's, my 405-2 is currently playing Soft Machine through my origial JR-149's!!
    Lovely.....

Excellent Taste Andrew...

Pre & Power
    Technics SUC 909U & Technics SE A909S
    Turntable
    Thorens TD 125 MK1 , SME 3009 S2 Non Improved , Shure V15 II , SME 2000 Plinth
    CD Transport & DAC & PSU
    Marantz 6005 , Beresford Caiman , Paul Hynes SR4
    Loudspeakers
    Tannoy 615 MK2

I'm Gary.

Britain.
    Think about it...
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm openingabottleofwine.

USA - Mark Levinson, Audio Research, Dayton Wright, Magnaplanar

Japan - Accuphase, Nakamichi, Stax, and Sony and Teac R2Rs

UK - Quad, Decca, Garrard

Norway - Electrocompaniet

Switzerland - FM Acoustics, Thorens, Studer, Nagra

Germany - Braun, EMT
    Barry

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    USA - Mark Levinson, Audio Research, Dayton Wright, Magnaplanar

Japan - Accuphase, Nakamichi, Stax, and Sony and Teac R2Rs

Norway - Electrocompaniet

Switzerland - FM Acoustics, Thorens, Studer, Nagra

Germany - Braun, EMT
    I would add Radford and Tannoy to your UK list and Yamaha and Luxman to your Japan list.

I'm gordan.

interesting, i've always thought garrard went on horrendous decline since 70s (including a line of bizzare DDs)

401 as their last good TT was launched in mid-60s.

also not sure about quad, since they had no speaker developments in the 70s, the only new product was (IMHO a dubious) 405, more interesting for design than sound.

i would say if there's a still relevant 70s british audio product, it's tannoy HPD drivers.... (someone else has to mention LP12 haha)

decca is a good call, they really became strong in the 70s with improved versions of their old design - blue, maroon, gold.

japan was so much ahead of everyone in the 70s, especially in the late decade when a boom of the consumer audio market made big corporations able to invest crazy money in R&D. the products made on a turn from 70s to 80s are absolutely impossible to happen again on the commercial market and make everything else produced more or less agricultural.
    Last edited by anubisgrau; 27-11-2016 at 09:32.
    Gordan.
    Speakers: Oris Swing MkII
    Amps: Thomas Mayer 300b/ Hiraga La Maison de L'Audiophile 20
    Preamp: Silver AVC by eng. Ferenc Lazar
    Phono Preamp: Shishido LCR by Solaja Audio
    Decks: Garrard 301 Martin Bastin reworked/plinthed with Fidelity Research FR64fx
    Garrard 401 in eng Ferenc Lazar solid wenge plinth with SME 3012/2
    Cartridges: SPU Spirit/ Koetsu Black revisited by eng. Salai/ Miyajima Shilabe
    Step Up Transformers: Tango MCT 999/ Ortofon T-5000/ Lumiere SUT
    Digital: Shigaclone by eng. Ferenc Lazar with Lampizator Amber II
    Wires: of sufficient length

Quote Originally Posted by hermit View Post
    I would add Radford and Tannoy to your UK list and Yamaha and Luxman to your Japan list.
    I was going to add them, but the question was referring to the '70s. Both Radford and Tannoy made their reputation in the '60s and designs made in the '70s did not IMO show any improvement over the earlier designs.
    Barry

Quote Originally Posted by anubisgrau View Post
    interesting, i've always thought garrard went on horrendous decline since 70s (including a line of bizzare DDs)

401 as their last good TT was launched in mid-60s.

also not sure about quad, since they had no speaker developments in the 70s, the only new product was (IMHO a dubious) 405, more interesting for design than sound.

i would say if there's a still relevant 70s british audio product, it's tannoy HPD drivers.... (someone else has to mention LP12 haha)

decca is a good call, they really became strong in the 70s with improved versions of their old design - blue, maroon, gold.

japan was so much ahead of everyone in the 70s, especially in the late decade when a boom of the consumer audio market made big corporations able to invest crazy money in R&D. the products made on a turn from 70s to 80s are absolutely impossible to happen again on the commercial market and make everything else produced more or less agricultural.
    The Garrard 401 was available well into the '70s, but would agree Garrard's newer designs were poor, as were Thorens, post TD160.

The Quad 44 preamp and 63 speaker appeared on the market during the late '70s.
    Barry

I'm gordan.

The Quad 44 preamp and 63 speaker appeared on the market during the late '70s.
    I thought it was introduced in 1981. My bad...
    Gordan.
    Speakers: Oris Swing MkII
    Amps: Thomas Mayer 300b/ Hiraga La Maison de L'Audiophile 20
    Preamp: Silver AVC by eng. Ferenc Lazar
    Phono Preamp: Shishido LCR by Solaja Audio
    Decks: Garrard 301 Martin Bastin reworked/plinthed with Fidelity Research FR64fx
    Garrard 401 in eng Ferenc Lazar solid wenge plinth with SME 3012/2
    Cartridges: SPU Spirit/ Koetsu Black revisited by eng. Salai/ Miyajima Shilabe
    Step Up Transformers: Tango MCT 999/ Ortofon T-5000/ Lumiere SUT
    Digital: Shigaclone by eng. Ferenc Lazar with Lampizator Amber II
    Wires: of sufficient length

I'm Grant.

Think when you consider all the major Japanese companies input during that decade, it not even close as to who were electronics masters. As much as i like British electronics, as i did British motorbikes, the Japanese gave us what we Brits wanted and British companies wouldnt, or couldnt. Hence our demise, along with our motorbike industry.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Andrew.

I'd add sansui to the list of Japanese companies that made sublime equipment during the 70s, the ca3000 or the massive ba5000 which could pump 600watts into any speaker back In the day.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast