+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Klotz Mc5000 sonics

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

I don't think the plugs make much difference to the sonics (they don't here, put it this way) and it's difficult to do a direct comparison with two different lengths* let alone re-wiring the same cable I think, but the MS ones do definitely 'feel' and 'look' better, so they must sound better too, right? I have a couple of cables here which I've tried in different configs and best, less ripe, sonics have been with the two inner conductors carrying the signal hot and return and the outer 'screen' left disconnected. To be fair though, for *me,* connecting the screen at one end made little if any derogatory difference, but it made for a messier connection - I'm still not as neat as Brian

The 'worst' I heard from MC5000 is having both inner connectors together as 'hot' and using the outer screen as return. I found it messy sounding this way I remember, although if asked to do this 'blind,' I'd probably not be able to reliably tell.

* One other thing, continued use does *seem* to make the 'sound' more neutral.. I had an equivalent MG HD1500 made up and when both were new, I definitely got a difference in direct comparison, the MG having more 'sheen' to it. As the weeks became months, the two sounded all but identical on the same system. For me obviously, the Klotz 'won out' because I can buy the wire relatively cheaply and make it up myself.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

As Dave says, how these cables are wired, in respect of which end the shield has been connected or not, has a significant impact on their sonic signature. However, to a lesser extent, so do the plugs used.

In my experience (and I've been using these cables on and off now for nearly 2 years), there is an unmatched and satisfying sonic synergy between the Klotz cable itself and the MS Audio silver plugs, which simply doesn't happen when other plugs are fitted.

Also.... Try reversing the cables, so that the end that would normally be plugged into the source (where the shield is connected) is facing AWAY from the source. I find that opens up the sound a little and reduces any tendency for bass 'fruitiness'.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Bigman80 Guest

Well if Marco is using them with his certainly high end gear, they must be a good match.

Going to put some on my interconnects at some point.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

I can't claim to have 'heard' a difference with the MS plugs, BUT, they're not silly money and the slick feel in use is very much appreciated here. The fall out from Brexit may push the price up nearer to £20 a quad set and that's sad. I still think the £1.50 or so Neutrik is a damned good plug though and recent ones do look posher than they used to.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    I can't claim to have 'heard' a difference with the MS plugs, BUT, they're not silly money and the slick feel in use is very much appreciated here. The fall out from Brexit may push the price up nearer to £20 a quad set and that's sad. I still think the £1.50 or so Neutrik is a damned good plug though and recent ones do look posher than they used to.
    Just paid £20 for a set of 4 rhodium MS Audio plugs.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Nice one, mate. Let us know how you get on

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Nice one, mate. Let us know how you get on

Marco.
    Will do,. I also have a set of pure copper plugs I wanted to try. Need more cable though lol

Bigman80 Guest

So I stated I was gonna make up a couple of sets of interconnects with different plugs and do a bit of a test. So here goes with my findings:

Klotz 5000 with Monster gold-plated plugs

I've had these running between my DAC and amp for a few weeks and had been very pleased. Bass was deep and treble was crisp and high. Everything seemed to be fine, timing, tone and musically they just fitted right in. Vocally they were pretty much as good as I'd heard from any cable.

Klotz MC5000 with MS Audio Rhodium

What the F@ck ! How can RCA plugs make such a difference ? The MSAudio plugs sounded incredible. Everything all of a sudden is crisp, like frost. Bass is definite. Solid and taught. And the treble, oh the treble is excellent. But the biggest difference is detail. It's like I'm hearing more subtle nuances and there are symbol trills I haven't heard before.

In comparison, the monster plugs sounded like a muddy mess.

I didnt want to like the MSAudios because that means I have to upgrade all of my plugs but I do. They sound great.

Buy some.

Last edited by Bigman80; 11-12-2016 at 09:13.

I'm Geoff.

Now you need to look at Cardas or Audio Note pure copper cored cable. Then it will all come together.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Now you need to look at Cardas or Audio Note pure copper cored cable. Then it will all come together.
    Stop it Geoff ! I haven't got the budget to keep upgrading !!!

What are you using ?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast