+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Klotz Mc5000 sonics

I'm Brian.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    So I stated I was gonna make up a couple of sets of interconnects with different plugs and do a bit of a test. So here goes with my findings:

Klotz 5000 with Monster gold-plated plugs

I've had these running between my DAC and amp for a few weeks and had been very pleased. Bass was deep and treble was crisp and high. Everything seemed to be fine, timing, tone and musically they just fitted right in. Vocally they were pretty much as good as I'd heard from any cable.

Klotz MC5000 with MS Audio Rhodium

What the F@ck ! How can RCA plugs make such a difference ? What once sounded good now sounds like a muddy mess. Everything all of a sudden is crisp, like frost. Bass is definite. Solid and taught. And the treble, oh the treble is excellent. But the biggest difference is detail. It's like I'm hearing more subtle nuances and there are symbol trills I haven't heard before.

I didnt want to like the MSAudios because that means I have to upgrade all of my plugs but I do. They sound great.

Buy some.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
    Try the silver MS Audio plugs if you like a crisp treble .
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

danilo Guest

IF .. a set it and forget it type ?
    Then Direct Soldering interconnects .. at both ends.. is THE best most direct connection possible. Also virtually free.
    Admittedly this can be a bit of an impediment if one has an OCD audio gear issue though
    Well worth considering.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Klotz MC5000 with MS Audio Rhodium

What the F@ck ! How can RCA plugs make such a difference ? What once sounded good now sounds like a muddy mess.
    I had to read that a few times before I realised what you were trying to say, and that your (highlighted) comment was about the old plugs, not the new ones!

Everything all of a sudden is crisp, like frost. Bass is definite. Solid and taught. And the treble, oh the treble is excellent. But the biggest difference is detail. It's like I'm hearing more subtle nuances and there are symbol trills I haven't heard before.

I didnt want to like the MSAudios because that means I have to upgrade all of my plugs but I do. They sound great.
    Excellent. I've heard the same thing myself, comparing the same cables you've got with different plugs. There's no doubt that the MS Audio plugs gel very well with the MC5000 cables. Like Brian says, if you can be arsed, try the silver plugs, for a little added top-end 'crispness', but the improvement (if any) will be much more subtle this time...

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Brian.

Agreed Marco , but that change will be welcomed by people who appreciate this type of sound . I used the Rhodium plugs for quite a while and IIRC it was you who requested the silver plugs be fitted to some interconnects I was making for you . Now I mostly fit them to this cable .
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

Bigman80 Guest

Ah, yes. Sorry it was late and I'd been trying to figure out why the right channel of the turntable kept dropping out. I'd been at that for some time. I'll edit it to make more sense !!

Not sure I'll try the silver ones yet. I'd like to give the equipment I've bought a hood run. I seem to have been swapping bits in and out for ages. I now also have a RCA socket problem on my amp which needs attention.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by danilo View Post
    IF .. a set it and forget it type ?
    Then Direct Soldering interconnects .. at both ends.. is THE best most direct connection possible. Also virtually free.
    Admittedly this can be a bit of an impediment if one has an OCD audio gear issue though
    Well worth considering.
    Hmm, I like the sound of that, although I wouldn't be too confident of doing it myself.

I'm Geoff.

Stop it Geoff ! I haven't got the budget to keep upgrading !!!

What are you using ?
    I have a vast selection of cables. Merlin, Nordost, Cardas, Audioquest, Transparent Audio, Chord, Straightwire, Audio Note, Ixos, QED, Van Den Hul and others too.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I have a vast selection of cables. Merlin, Nordost, Cardas, Audioquest, Transparent Audio, Chord, Straightwire, Audio Note, Ixos, QED, Van Den Hul and others too.
    Which ones have spent the longest in your system.

I'm Geoff.

Which ones have spent the longest in your system.
    Hard to say. I've had them all for years and chop and change.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123