+ Reply to Thread

Thread: greetings from South Africa

I'm Eitan.

Thumbs up greetings from South Africa

Hello AOS'ers. This is my post. My interest in DACs both new and old brought me here.

A little bit about me. I am equal part music lover and audiophile. I have an intense curiosity about music I haven't discovered but I also have my musical comfort foods, mainly 60s jazz, golden age hip hop, sweet soul and a little funk and Afrobeat.

My setup includes a Unison Research S6, WLM La Scala monitors, Rel Britannica B1. I love the sound of earlier Theta DACs but they're hard to come by in South Africa. I have an option to get the M2tech Young DAC and I am keen to hear from those who have had it, what I can expect from the Young.

I'm not rolling in dosh, so prefer to buy secondhand and demo.

Will pick up this in some of the existing threads.

'crusha

I'm Grant.

Hi Eitan, welcome to the forum. Walpurgis, Geoff, like theta dacs... guess he will pop in for a welcome too. I dont use them at moment but used to have a few good un at one time(mostly American)

Have a read around digital expressions, as there is plenty info there.. also our own Stan Beresford makes a pretty mean Dac as well.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Hello Eitan. Welcome to AOS.

Grant is correct. I also like Theta DACs. Not heard one that didn't sound way better than the run of the mill. Even the little 'Cobalt' is nice. If you like those, check out the Monarchy Audio DACs too they are superb.

If you have any future plans for your system we'd like to hear about them.

Take a look around the site, there's plenty going on. And feel free to join in any chat that appeals to you.

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm James.

Welcome Eiton

My wife is from Cape Town, I've been four times. Lovely place.
    Welcome to AOS
    Source: Heavily modified DDDAC using MacBook Pro.
    Amplification: Pre amp-Stereo Coffee pre amp on steroids.
    Power amp- Rather large Colin Wonfor Class A power Amp
    Speakers: Lampizator P17 Open Baffles
    Accessories: Klotz 500 DIY Interconnects & DIY speaker cable sounding better than anything commercial.
    All powered from a Mother Trucker BPS with a dedicated consumer unit with 10mm armoured radial back to the house tails after the meter.

I'm Eitan.

Thanks for the warm welcomes, everybody

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post

Grant is correct. I also like Theta DACs. Not heard one that didn't sound way better than the run of the mill. Even the little 'Cobalt' is nice. If you like those, check out the Monarchy Audio DACs too they are superb.

If you have any future plans for your system we'd like to hear about them.

[...]

Geoff.
    Geoff, I had the fortune of having a friend's Theta DS Pro Gen III in my system and it sounded sublime. It had meaty bass, a generous soundstage, sufficient detail, but more importantly everything sounded well organised - just right, you could say. Unfortunately this wasn't for sale, but I tracked down a Theta DS Pro Basic III. Alas, it wasn't quite the same as the Gen III. It was a little more clinical sounding, and it didn't have quite the same charm as the older Gen.

I've also been cautioned by more than one person that because there's no support for Theta's legacy digital products, it can be a lottery purchasing one (unless on the cheap). Hence my looking at alternative, possibly newer DACs that match the Theta's for sonic character. I'll definitely read up on the Monarchy brand.

Eitan
    Speakers: WLM Audio / Amp: Unison Research S6 / Sources:
    Technics SL1200 + Rega RB300 arm + Sumiko Blueprint 2 Evo III + Pro-Ject Phono Box RS
    NAD C515BEE + EAD DSP 7000 MKII / M2Tech Hiface 2 + EAD DSP 7000 MKII

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Welcome to AoS Eitan,

Hope you find your ideal DAC soon.

Enjoy the Forum
    Barry
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread