+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Teac VRDS-T1 Transport

I'm charles.

Probably a broken plastic gear drive - common fault.
    I had one of these units for a number of years which uses a cheap Sony drive unlike more expensive models further up the chain (check out the plastic cover -over the cheap ,cheap motor - which performs no function other to give the impression of some kind of 'audio engineering' )- the VRDS 10 and VRDS 25 are miles ahead in terms of internal build and sound quality. I had both of these far superior models for a number of years as well. Unfortunately, Sony laser KS151A which was fitted to the 25 is virtually unobtainable - any you see will be NOS and sell for around 250 pounds+ sterling 'cos the sellers know they are so rare - Sony stopped manufacture years ago.
    I replaced the VRDS 25 with a NOS Sony SACD XA3000ES - the Sony rubbishes the VRDS 25 in terms of detail and presence. Not only that but it operates far more smoothly than the clunky TEAC. Sony beats TEAC not only with both using internal DACS but also through TEAC DT-1 - and I can still get a replacement laser.

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

Quote Originally Posted by 57charles View Post
    Probably a broken plastic gear drive - common fault.
    Well I took the top off and can immediately see a broken off-white cog (gear drive) and therefore put the lid back on double quick

I have no idea if it can be fixed but it's certainly beyond me

So if anyone can repair it make me an offer for it as is..
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm charles.

I seem to remember those plastic gear drives were relatively expensive for what it was - just a plastic cog - no doubt 'cos the suppliers have a captive audience - 'buy this part or else your unit won't work'. Notwithstanding this, worth fixing if that's all that is wrong with it. I seem to remember that the cheap Sony laser used in this model was still available a while ago (need to check PP, of course). If it is, then unit is worth fixing and a spare laser should be bought for future use.
    These units sounded 'OK' with a decent DAC.
    If Sony laser not available then 'pot luck' and 'good luck'.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    Neil, this is a T1 transport, a sheep in wolf's clothing, in other words a dressed up low cost Sony...

http://lampizator.eu/LAMPIZATOR/REFE...1/VRDS-T1.html

Doesn't mean it's bad, but it ain't what the bigger VRDS mechs are...
    I didn't know that, an eye opening educational read.

And sorry to read of your trouble Bev. I hope you get it sorted out.
    Last edited by Spectral Morn; 22-11-2016 at 22:47.
    Regards Neil

I'm Dave.

Is it possible to get your money returned ? If you can get it repaired for not much, then fair enough.

A repair might be expensive and the T1 isn't worth spending serious money on IMO. It's nothing like the VRDS10 etc, which used Teac's own transports.

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

Now up for sale in 'Private Exhibitions' as I don't have the knowledge to repair it and don't know any cd engineers either
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm Craig.

I tried to buy one of these, on two separate occasions.

Neither unit worked, so I gave up.
    Bluesound Node 2i
    Audio Analogue Pucinni SE
    B&W DM607 s2
    Chord Shawline X speaker cable
    Klotz ic’s

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123