+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Teac VRDS-T1 Transport

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Ken.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I find it strange that Ken replied some 7 years after Neil's original post, especially as the misconception was pointed out at the time.
    Hi Barry, it was because I am looking at getting a VRDS transport, did a search on here and was surprised how many statements early on in the thread are just inaccurate.
    Also, I don't think it was made clear, just how basic the build quality is on the CMK-4.X variants compared with all others.
    Gaz
    " what’s your take on the StreamUnlimited 8 drive and Blue Tiger CD-84 servo card, a new transport being used in higher end transports?
    Curious how these stack up against the high end Teacs."

My knowledge is mostly around VRDS as I researched that mechanism recently.
    But the StreamUnlimited/BlueTiger as used in the ProJect CD Box RS2 T and others, is very good.
    Also worth noting is the Audio Note CDT TWO/II top loader, using Philips CDM Pro mechanism. Both fine machines.

The Wadia VRDS stuff is overpriced, what made them special wasn't VRDS, they didn't always use the best variant available, but their custom firmware.
    Discounting the later and exotic NEO variants, there was not much difference between a TEAC VRDS 10 and an Esoteric P2, which was much more expensive.
    The basic mechanism was the same, as was the hall effect brushless motor (same part numbers) The rigid metal bridge that supports the P2 mechanism is said to offer little over the heavily braced and rigid plastic version. It was the power supplies that were much much better. from memory the P2 had four separately regulated supplies on board.

I just pulled the trigger on an Esoteric P-700, but its in Perth, Australia, so I won't be seeing that for a while yet.

A re clock, improvements in the PSU and adding a better BNC 75ohm output board can elevate the old VRDS machines to a high level. But I'm talking about them as a Transport, the old DAC's they used can easily be improved on.
    Last edited by Qwin; 10-05-2024 at 10:07.

+ Reply to Thread