+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ortofon MC2000 mk2 (New Old Stock) + Ortofon T20 mk2 (New Old Stock)

I'm Neil.

Default Ortofon MC2000 mk2 (New Old Stock) + Ortofon T20 mk2 (New Old Stock)

Never thought I would want to sell these but that day when I would fit this cart never came.

What we have here is a New Old Stock Ortofon MC2000 mk 2 and the matching step up transformer. I bought these new from Ortofon back in 1992 and never used them.

This came about because this is the second MC2000 mk2 I got, as the first had a crack in the white ceramic body. I don't know if this occured when I installed it in my SME 309 arm or it was there, regardless Ortofon replaced the cart with a brand new one, but without the outer packing, which is why the screws are loose from fitting that first cracked MC2000. In the mean time I had bought a VDH MC10 which I fitted to the SME 309 where it stayed, until moved to an ET2 arm, then SME 5. The MC2000 languished on the shelf along side the transformer. I always mean't to try it, but never did.

Having looked into this I see that the MC2000 mk2 is a collectors item these days and I see that NOS examples of these sell on average for in and around £1000. The transformer seems to go for about £250 to £350.

I don't want to split these as the T20 mk2 was designed to go with the MC2000 mk2 and as such it seems to me a shame to split them apart. The T20 is in excellent condition.

So I would like £800 for both, payment via bank transfer. I will only sell within the UK and Ireland. Postage will be via next day postage (insured for £1000) and will be about £20.

A word of warning. These carts must be installed very carefully and gently, the underside of the tonearm and top of the cart must be clean, otherwise tightening the cart to the arm could result in a cracked cart - you have been warned.

I won't reduce this price, probably should be a bit dearer but I think £800 is a fair price.

Edit 2/7/17

Cartridge was tried and found to be working fully. Only 3 LP sides were played. A brief video can be supplied to prove cartridge is working fine.

Last edited by Spectral Morn; 03-07-2017 at 10:43. Reason: Photos/Text Updated.
    Regards Neil

I'm Neil.

Bump
    Regards Neil

I'm Neil.

This got stunning reviews back in the day and is generally by my understanding held in regard, hence its collectors item status. Bit surprised no one seems interested, particularly as this is an unused example.
    Regards Neil

I'm Grant.

So rare as to be unobtanium. One up in us ebay for $1250.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm jonathan.

a bargain here
    GLWS
    Regards,
    Jonathan

I'm Neil.

Bump
    Regards Neil

I'm James.

Reading around it appears to me that Ortofon intended this to be used with their T2000 rather than the T20. The ratios are rather different. I have no direct experience of this cartridge or the SUT same as (I imagine) most others salivating over this ad. Since they will probably access the same information on the Web I suggest it might be worth explaining why your pairing is correct?
    Please don't think this is a spoiler, just a request for clarification?

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazid View Post
    Reading around it appears to me that Ortofon intended this to be used with their T2000 rather than the T20. The ratios are rather different. I have no direct experience of this cartridge or the SUT same as (I imagine) most others salivating over this ad. Since they will probably access the same information on the Web I suggest it might be worth explaining why your pairing is correct?
    Please don't think this is a spoiler, just a request for clarification?

It was the pairing sold to me at the time by the UK distributor.
    Regards Neil

I'm Kai.

T-2000 had 35dB of gain as opposed to 32dB of the T-20. Recommended pick-up impedance for T-2000 3ohms, for T-20 2-4 ohms. There's absolutely nothing in the numbers to suggest the T-20 would be anything less than a very good fit for the MC-2000. T-2000 was the designed pairing for the MC-2000 and was the better SUT but I imagine it was a very pricey thing and the T-20 would've been a more affordable alternative while still providing good performance. I believe T-20 was the "designated pairing" for MC-200.

In theory the T-2000 would up the 0.05mV voltage to 2.8mV while the T-20 would put out 2mV. I believe in practice the numbers will be lower and closer to each other, as transformer efficiency will get worse and worse with higher turn ratios.

In any case good luck with sale, I believe a bargain for someone.

I'm James.

Thanks for the explanations which clarify what is on the Web, and I so hope it finds a new home soon!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast