+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Where next

I'm Mike.

I'd go for a bearing first, then platter, mat then cart.

That is an opinion not written in stone
    TAD CD / DAC / Pre, Technics 1210, MCRU PSU, Mike New Bearing & Platter, Stillpoints LP1 weight, Speedy Steve Ebony armboard, Fidelity Research FR64FX arm, Ortofon SPU. Aurorasound VIDA Phono Pre Amp, TAD Power Amp, TAD E1 speakers. Coherent RTZ 3 Grounding box, Coherent grounding cables, Creaktiv racks. Coherent Mains Cables. SR Blue Fuse. Interconnects : Coherent and Yannis 223.5 Connect Litz. Coherent speaker cable. Audio Magic Transcendence Conditioner. Coherent mains socket. Mains Filters : , PS Audio Harvesters, Russ Andrews Purifiers, Tacima, Vertex. Black Ravioli and RDC supports. Electric Beach S1NX platforms for TAD CD and Technics. Ferrite chokes everywhere except the above. Ears, brain

Mike

I'm Mike.

Then I'd add a SUT.
    Check any mains problems, look at supports
    TAD CD / DAC / Pre, Technics 1210, MCRU PSU, Mike New Bearing & Platter, Stillpoints LP1 weight, Speedy Steve Ebony armboard, Fidelity Research FR64FX arm, Ortofon SPU. Aurorasound VIDA Phono Pre Amp, TAD Power Amp, TAD E1 speakers. Coherent RTZ 3 Grounding box, Coherent grounding cables, Creaktiv racks. Coherent Mains Cables. SR Blue Fuse. Interconnects : Coherent and Yannis 223.5 Connect Litz. Coherent speaker cable. Audio Magic Transcendence Conditioner. Coherent mains socket. Mains Filters : , PS Audio Harvesters, Russ Andrews Purifiers, Tacima, Vertex. Black Ravioli and RDC supports. Electric Beach S1NX platforms for TAD CD and Technics. Ferrite chokes everywhere except the above. Ears, brain

Mike

I'm Kevin.

What were you thinking of as a cartridge upgrade?

Contrary to Mike, I think that the bearing is one of the final pieces in the jigsaw. It brings everything together.
    You will most likely get a bigger improvement with a new cartridge.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Mick.

Going to weigh up all the pros and cons. The carts I have are an Ortofon 2m Blue and Bronze. Heard good things about the black version but it's not cheap. Tried a few different carts but have been happy with the Ortofon.

Mike what is a SUT ? Am I missing something😂

I'm Kevin.

You may need a Step Up Transformer (SUT) if using an MC cartridge in a MM phonostage.
    I may be selling a 2M Black soon, as I have recently gone over to MCs.
    There is also one for sale now on the forum.
    Kevin

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Dubster68 View Post
    Going to weigh up all the pros and cons. The carts I have are an Ortofon 2m Blue and Bronze. Heard good things about the black version but it's not cheap. Tried a few different carts but have been happy with the Ortofon.

Mike what is a SUT ? Am I missing something😂
    I've just advertised a Black

I did the bearing first but only because it was for same in here at a price I couldn't refuse.

Then I bought a Paul Hynes PSU, followed by a new platter mat and then 3 or 4 different cartridges to try.

Regulators for power supply to be fitted soon and that will be that

I'm Kevin.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
    I've just advertised a Black

I did the bearing first but only because it was for same in here at a price I couldn't refuse.

Then I bought a Paul Hynes PSU, followed by a new platter mat and then 3 or 4 different cartridges to try.

Regulators for power supply to be fitted soon and that will be that
    Are you not going to try a fancy platter?
    Kevin

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    You may need a Step Up Transformer (SUT) if using an MC cartridge in a MM phonostage.
    I may be selling a 2M Black soon, as I have recently gone over to MCs.
    There is also one for sale now on the forum.
    There are now two!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    Are you not going to try a fancy platter?
    I would like one but I think they look terrible and at £800+ I'm not really keen to spend that much.

If I could buy second hand then I might consider it.

I'm Mick.

Thanks for all the ideas. I think bearing or cart they will both be getting done at some stage. I know they must add a solid performance but the after market platters dont do it for me visually . As Mikey above said if they come up cheap enough maybe an option. Just looked at the Mike Bearing but it works out over £400 and like I said is it that noticeable. £2-300 and I would take the chance but its a lot of money for a turntable that I think sounds very good. I know there are other options but not heard much feedback only a little chatter between a few over who's is the best.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast