+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Wee tweak - dont laugh...it worked!

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Hi Neil,

Indeed. I missed that one, as I was going round checking out various rooms, but Rob, Nick and Steve heard the beneficial effect, which apparently was very significant indeed, and based on my experience of these things, I have no reason to doubt them.

I think that given the ridiculously low cost of the Beresford DAC, considering the audio performance on offer, cost-cutting has to be applied somewhere, and of course it's in the casing, which is undoubtedly a rather lightweight, resonant affair.

Personally, I've love to see Stan make a 'deluxe' version of the Beresford which comes in a really sturdy, attractive looking case (similar to, say, that of the Benchmark), even if he has to charge another £100 or so for the privilege, as it'd still represent a bargain. It would make the product look and 'feel' more professional, and it would sound even better, too!

However, the real message given by this thread is that equipment supports matter and offer genuine performance improvements! I've no doubt that Gaz's little tweak works, so just think what happens when placing the Beresford on top of a proper, purpose-built, audio rack!!

Quite simply, no high quality hi-fi system should be without one.

Marco.
    Agreed Marco, stands make a difference.
    That's why my kit sits in a Stands Unique rack!*

*sadly this was from my "well off days" and is now the most expensive item in my HiFi!
    I should sell it really and get myself a proper poweramp or a Turntable.
    But it's such a nice piece if furniture I don't want to part with it!

But even then the wee tweak made a good difference!
    I wonder if it's to do with the glass shelves or .?

:-)
    Last edited by Gazjam; 16-12-2009 at 21:02.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

I should sell it really and get myself a proper poweramp or a Turntable.
    But it's such a nice piece if furniture I don't want to part with it!
    Don't part with it, dude. Apart from it looking nice, it's providing a valuable 'foundation' for your system. Removing it would adversely affect the performance of every component supported on it, and thus negate much of the benefit of buying a 'proper' power amp...

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I`m going to try something like this, just because I`m curious, but I am expecting there to be little to no difference.

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    I had a couple of packets of THESE:
    http://www.quietpc.com/gb-en-gbp/pro...es/acoustifeet
    So which type did you use, Gaz - 'very soft', 'soft, 'medium' or 'firm' - ooo, missus! - enquiring minds need to know!
    ... and are there sonic differences?
    Last edited by jandl100; 17-12-2009 at 08:36.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Shanedudddy2 View Post
    I`m going to try something like this, just because I`m curious, but I am expecting there to be little to no difference.
    Don't go in with a closed mind - enter instead with an open one! You never know what you might discover

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    So which type did you use, Gaz - 'very soft', 'soft, 'medium' or 'firm' - ooo, missus! - enquiring minds need to know!
    ... and are there sonic differences?
    Hey Jerry,
    you can smell a tweak at 200 paces you can!

I used the "Very soft" for maximum "boing!"(Tech term) as there wasnt a helluva lot of weight bearing down on them.
    Dont know about sonic differences...I figured the benefit would come from maximum damping according to weight..and if using the very stiff ones (Quick Nurse...the screens!) then it would just be like sitting the dac on its own hard rubber feet...only bigger.
    Dunno...all just a guess.

The Sorbothane feet mentioned as well look good....im like you Jerry...curiositys getting the better of me....
    Last edited by Gazjam; 17-12-2009 at 10:55.
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm notAlone.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Don't go in with a closed mind - enter instead with an open one! You never know what you might discover

Marco.
    Why, is it a Belt-type trick or something ? Do you need to believe in it to hear ?
    Dimitri.

In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    George Orwell

I'm Gary.

Try it ya miserable buggers....spend a tenner to prove me wrong.

Forum Cred means nothing to me - Ha!
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    DIGITAL
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    INTERCONNECTS

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Currently experimenting with one underneath for isolation, and one on top to add mass for damping - certainly seems to make a slight difference with the one on top, (a Caiman-Granite sandwich) but only directly laying on it - going to try some blu-tack in a while. (P.S. why doesn't someone make Black-Tack? Would be much better for hi fi use!)
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    (P.S. why doesn't someone make Black-Tack? Would be much better for hi fi use!)
    I have some 'black-tack' - thoroughly vicious stuff - I used it to hold some JBL standmounts onto a stand - when I came to take the speakers off, the bloody speaker veneer came off rather than the the black-tack!

... but you may be able to get other types.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast