+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New 15v Capella headphone amp - Legend!

I'm Stephen.

Default New 15v Capella headphone amp - Legend!

Stan kindly lent me one of these to audition knowing I was running a standard 12v Capella from battery and a Caiman SEG from a 15v LPSU.

I have only had it up and running for 24 hours but even in that short time I'm in no doubt it is a significant step up over the 12v version.

I have so far used my Beyerdynamic DT990 600 ohm 'phones which are pretty demanding to drive.

Listening to the Hans Zimmer Interstellar double CD the bass is just immense - really deep and powerful with chord detail I'd not previously heard - I had to turn the Capella gain down to zero and back off the volume pot a bit as the 15v version was driving the Beyers so much easier than the 12v.
    It's not just the bass that's better, there is much more fine detail, precision and clarity - drum kit is snappier and vocals (Lightnin Hopkins) have more expression and "natural" tone. I'm guessing the 15v version has lower background noise.
    The whole presentation seems effortless with improved dynamics, PRaT.

I'll do a bit more old/new demoing and listen also with my Grado RS1000's but I'm already convinced there is no going back.

FWIW I have suggested Stan calls the 15v version the Capella Legend!

Steve

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Last edited by worrasf; 19-11-2016 at 18:55.
    Always a little further

I'm Alan.

Is the case size the same as the Caiman SEG ?
    Sony PS-6750 Turntable, Sony CDP-X555ES CD Player, Sansui TU-717 Tuner, Vortexbox Music Server, Caiman SEG DAC with LDA Linear PSU, Squeezebox Touch with LDA Linear PSU, Accuphase E-302 Integrated Amplifier, PMC GB1i Speakers, MG G2000HD & G1500HD Interconnects, Van Damme 6mm Hi-Fi Speaker Cables.

Bedroom system: Squeezebox Touch with LDA Linear PSU, Quad FM4 Tuner, DCB-1 Turbo with Acoustic Dimensions switched attenuator, Quad 306 Amplifier, Rega RS1 Speakers. TV & DVD, Caiman MKII DAC with Baldwin Audio Linear PSU. MG G1500HD Interconnects, Fisual S-Flex 4mm Speaker Cables.

Back Bedroom Work Bench: Denon TU-260L Mk2 Tuner, Denon PMA-355UK Amplifier, Mission 780SE Speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan D View Post
    Is the case size the same as the Caiman SEG ?
    Yes.

I must add that the Capella that Steve has in his possession is a standard Capella that has been upgraded/modified for testing and interest check purposes. So any existing Capella owners would be able to get their HPA modified at a reasonable cost. I am still waiting for some additional parts to do the upgrade on more than a handful of units. But interested Capella owners should email or PM me to register their interest. That will make it easier for me to make sure I can arrange a schedule of when each person can have the mod done.
    I'll also mod some for stock, but note that you'll need to supply your own 15V linear power supply.

I'm Alastair.

I simply use the Capella as a pre-amp. It is powered with a 12V output from an Ankaka battery and the Caiman II is powered from the Capella 12V output. A few questions:
    1. Does the mod make similar improvements when being used as a pre-amp?
    2. The Ankaka has a 16V option. Is that too high for the upgrade?
    3. I suppose that 16V (assuming this is what would happen) going into the Caiman II won't make it very happy. Correct? So I would have to power the Caiman II another way.
    Cheers

Alastair

RPI4/PI2AES running PiCorePlayer/LMS-> AQ Carbon AES -> Topping D90 DAC-> Khozomo Passive Pre-Amp -> 4x Temple Audio Monoblocks powered by 2xLiFePO batteries->Van Damme Black Bi-Wired to B&W 804 Nautilus and Sommer Carbokab 225 Interconnects

1. Yes the mod improves the pre-amp section as well. The sound was described by someone as being "too clean", which is a result of the far lower noise floor. So you hear more detail as a result.
    2. The Ankaka seems to have a minimum current sensing point that is below what the Capella and Caiman draws. I can't get it to hold the 16V output level for more than a minute or so myself. So that is why I use a linear PSU from China just for that purpose.
    3. The CMII will work with a voltage of 16V, which is the absolute maximum that it can be used with.

I'm Robert.

Post New 15v Capella game changer

Well done Stanley
    what a improvment over the 12 v version
    I have a pr of akg K340 electrostatic-dynamic the most difficult headphone to drive on the planet
    I say a game changer the bass now is so immense on these headphones now they are interesting to listen to
    Also I have a pr of Aldeze LCD 2 wow its given them a actual top end also pin point imagery thanks to the controls on the Capella they almost sound a good as the lcd3 s which I can confirm have a pr a work
    I will do some more tests with other high end headphones shortly
    Congratulations Stanley on a another fine product

Yours feqencey
    Robohifi

+ Reply to Thread