+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Making Single Wire Into Bi-Wired Cable

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

Default Making Single Wire Into Bi-Wired Cable

I don't know if anyone can help on this matter..

I currently have single wired speaker cable

Can anyone tell me how I can make this into bi-wired cable? Would I need to change both ends or just the end that plugs into the speakers?

I know it might seem like a really dumb question but as I've never bi-wired anything before I just have no idea
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm Andy.

In general, a bi- wire cable would need 4 separate conductors. You could either pair them up at the amp end or terminate them separately if your amp has two sets of outputs.

If it's just to run a pair of bi-wirable speakers, you can use a normal set of speaker cables and make some "jumper" cables that connect the bass and treble terminals on the speaker.

There is a small minority of speaker cables that run several separately insulated conductors together (eg NVA). In these instances you can bi-wire by devoting some conductors to the bass unit and the remainder to the tweeter. That's an unusual arrangement for a speaker cable though but I mentioned it for completeness.

I'm Grant.

Wot he said you can split one end to 2/3 and 1/3 and put 4 plugs on that end, using the thinner to the tweeters. Most folk just use jump wires, often using a bit cut off each speaker cable. Sure you will get plenty options though. Speakers usually come with jump bars attached
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

To be honest Bev. In my opinion, you're best off just using links if they are bi-wire dual terminal speakers. I've tried bi-wiring and not heard any benefit.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Dave.

Bi-wiring does naff all. The only benefit is that you get rid of the rubbish brass links which manufacturers usually fit.

Use a piece of your present cable as the link and you will have bi-wired for no extra cost.

I'm Deleted.

I'm surprised you believe bi-wiring does 'naff all' because I've certainly heard it make quite an obvious difference.
    Account Deleted

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    I'm surprised you believe bi-wiring does 'naff all' because I've certainly heard it make quite an obvious difference.
    It depends on the speaker design and in particular that of the crossover. The differences, or improvements, are however small, and for many listeners indiscernable and if discernable not worth the bother.

The provision to bi-wire modern speakers is, in my opinion, simply one of speaker manufacturer's pandering to current fashion. If it works for you, that is well and good - but don't expect it to be a panacea.

Bev

If you are using are already using NVA speaker cable, these are ideal for bi- or tri-wiring speakers; though you may have to ask NVA to separate and re-terminate the ends for you.
    Barry

I'm Deleted.

Even if they were, what would they be a panacea for?

I wouldn't say the differences are that small, more obvious than many interconnect differences for example.
    Account Deleted

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    Even if they were, what would they be a panacea for?

I wouldn't say the differences are that small, more obvious than many interconnect differences for example.
    To try to answer your question Mark, I would need to know what differences (or improvements) you perceive when moving from single wiring to bi-wiring.

As I said in my post, if bi-wiring works for you that is fine, but others have already stated they cannot hear any difference at all.
    Barry

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

Thanks everyone for your comments, much appreciated

I think initially I will just be using some links I've picked up cheap to see if the new speakers suit my rooom. If the speakers get on with my room ok I might get my TQ Ultra Black speaker cable cut down, as they are too long anyway, and get some links made out of the surplus
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

+ Reply to Thread