+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Exposure amp: should I turn it off when I don't listen to music?

I'm James.

I used to leave my system on and thought it made an improvement, it didn't, it was the whiskey or wine
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

I'm Bastien.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    Switch off when not in use. The manual is wrong.
    Sorry but I trust the manual (and Exposure) more than you…

I'm Shane.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    Switch off when not in use. The manual is wrong.

Mr Farlowe is gonna get ya

S.

I'm Bastien.

Quote Originally Posted by southall-1998 View Post
    Mr Farlowe is gonna get ya

S.
    I trust J. Farlowe much more than anyone saying "the manual is wrong".

I'm Bastien.

Quote Originally Posted by Gomers View Post
    My 1010 amp gets switched off after listening. Powered up prior to some listening with a bit of signal through it to warm the innards. In the days when I used to live at my parents, I may have left stuff on for a days at a time but paying for my own energy needs nowadays, these things change

Have you ever had the XX serviced ?
    Why are you asking that? The 1010 is not a XX, an yes I just got the amp serviced, but all the caps were in perfect shape and the measurements showed no problem, so there was absolutely nothing to repair or any component to change.
    As I quite not like the answers here, I think I will send an email to Exposure instead...
    Last edited by ludovico; 16-11-2016 at 21:26.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by ludovico View Post
    Edit, I have just found the answer in a manual I found online. http://www.exposurehifi.com/images/p...Amplifiers.pdf

For Exposure preamps:

Typically, full performance conditions are reached within 24 hours. We, therefore recommend leaving the preamplifier’s power supply switched on continuously. There are no associated penalties with regard to reliability or longevity (indeed, electronic components generally have longer lives when powered up continuously), and this practice ensures optimum musical performance whenever you wish to enjoy music on your system.

For Exposure power amps & integrated:

Power amplifiers typically reach stable operating conditions more quickly than preamplifiers (Usually less than an hour), hence the desirability of keeping them continuously powered up is a bit less than with preamplifiers. There is little reason that the power amplifier may not be left on continuously, but would point out that prudence would dictate switching the power amplifier off when one is leaving one’s residence for long periods of time (e.g. a holiday). Electrical storms or catastrophic mains faults can occur without one’s knowledge while one is away with potentially tragic results for one’s amplifier and loudspeakers.
    You have the Exposure manual which says leave it powered on. No point contacting them unless you think they may have changed their minds in the intervening years.

Which I suppose is possible, since whether reliability is improved or worsened by leaving kit powered up all the time has been debated many times on forums and even professional audio engineers sometimes disagree on the issue.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by ludovico View Post
    Why are you asking that? The 1010 is not a XX, an yes I just got the amp serviced, but all the caps were in perfect shape and the measurements showed no problem, so there was absolutely nothing to repair or any component to change.
    As I quite not like the answers here, I think I will send an email to Exposure instead...
    I was simply asking whether in the 20 odd years since the amp had been built, it had had any servicing of any type. And yes, I'm aware my 1010 is not an XX, thanks for pointing it out.

The question you originally posed was bound to elicit different reactions, if you trust the manual more than the opinions, think you have answered your own thread.
    Last edited by Gomers; 17-11-2016 at 20:09.

I'm Lawrence.

X2

I was simply asking whether in the 20 odd years since the amp had been built, it had had any servicing of any type. And yes, I'm aware my 1010 is not an XX, thanks for pointing it out.

The question you originally posed was bound to illicit different reactions, if you trust the manual more than the opinions, think you have answered your own thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm Shane.

The question you originally posed was bound to elicit different reactions, if you trust the manual more than the opinions, think you have answered your own thread.

X3

S.

I'm Neil.

I turn mine off.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast