+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What sounds best on you your set up?

I'm Justin.

I think some genres just sound better than others by default - forget the speakers.

For me, electronic music tops the lot over a wide range of loudspeakers. Reggae and dub reggae generally does very well, too.

Classical is way down on the list for sounding good. Even if you have a violin in the same room as you, it doesn't sound great. It s a screechy sounding instrument at best. I'm not saying there aren't some great classical recordings, but keep the violin out of it, LOL!!!

I could elaborate but I've made the point. There are plenty of exceptions to this generic ruling in each category, of course.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    Classical is way down on the list for sounding good. Even if you have a violin in the same room as you, it doesn't sound great. It s a screechy sounding instrument at best. I'm not saying there aren't some great classical recordings, but keep the violin out of it, LOL!!!
    I like just about all music to an extent apart from country. If you don't like classical or don't think it can sound great. Listen to more and find the good stuff. It can be amazing, but there again, I detest Mozart, twiddly 'pop music' of its time. Even violin can be beautiful though. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yObNBWHta8

Right I'll get back to me Shpongle now.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Justin.

I've tried and tried almost countless times to like classical. It just doesn't happen...

I'm Grant.

When young i listened to classical music a lot, probably as it was all around me. I still have a select couple of dozen cds that i listen to on occasion, but it isnt common for me to do it. System usually sounds good with it. One thing classics often have is scale, and if your system does scale well, then its a good thing to hear.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

I've tried and tried almost countless times to like classical. It just doesn't happen...
    I'm the same. Apart from TV ads and film soundtracks I just never had any exposure to classical music when I was young. The radio was always on, but always rock, pop or jazz.

I've tried but it just doesn't involve me. There is no emotional connection there.

We don't get to choose what we like and dislike, so what can you do?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    We don't get to choose what we like and dislike, so what can you do?
    Indeed.

I've probably been a bit harsh on the old violin - the best crafted violins in the hands of the absolute finest it can be made to sound OK - ish, LOL.

I'm Loz.

I think some genres just sound better than others by default - forget the speakers.
    Highly subjective viewpoint Justin. Equally valid mind.

I'm Martin.

I think our brains automatically try to gauge how real something sounds. So acoustic instruments playing in a defined acoustic is more of a challenge to get to sound real (as opposed to just pleasant). When a system can do that really well you get that 'holy moley!' moment because it sounds so like the real thing. Whereas electronic music has no real sound so we can't make the comparison. We just gauge it by the dynamics, the slam, the lack of system added distortion. You can still get a 'holy moley!' moment but it is a different type of 'holy moley!'

Makes sense to me anyways.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Anji.

I suggest the Reference Recordings of The Minnesota orchestra for exposure to classical music played by a competent, happy band. Much of what constitutes classical music is 'filler' by popular standards.

If you haven't heard a full orchestra with the throttle open, you're in for a surprise.

Any recording that's highly compressed, metronomic and engineered to enthuse a crowd is of course more exciting.

It's also a pure construct with more in common to programming than human expression.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I'm Martin.

If Bach and Beethoven and the rest had access to synths and emulators and what have you back then, would they have used them in their compositions or scorned them?
    Current Lash Up:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast