+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Volumio and Synology NAS

I'm Mel.

Default Volumio and Synology NAS

Over the past couple of days I have been trying to get Volumio to work reliably with my 2 Synology servers but with odd results. I have tried the Volumio site and Google search for answers but have only found there appear to be many others with connection issues to the Synology servers but with no clear resolution.

The question I have is - does anybody have a potential solution or is there a better player which will work with Synology servers.

Here is what has happened to date:

1. Volumio does not see either NAS as a discoverable network device so I used the Network advanced connection option
    2. After entering the IP address etc Volumio did show my Synology1 in its list of added network devices but had an x in the connection box and I could not see any music.
    3. Next day on boot up it showed the Synology server as being connected and I could play music. I then tried to add my second main Itunes folder on another Synology server. Again it did not connect but this time didn't even show in the list of added network devices. I played about and even deleted my first Synology server but to no avail. However, even though I had deleted my first server it still showed the music on it and would play it.
    4. This morning I booted up the pi again for another try. Still no luck with adding the second synology and now I could not add the first again either (which had worked yesterday). Bizarrely the music on the first server was still accessible even though the NAS was not showing in the added list. For some reason I then tried the update button in the Volumio music list section. This time the music from the first synology server disappeared but my itunes music from my second server now appeared. Volumio still does not show the Synology as a connected network device but does play its music. Now there is no way to delete the NAS from Volumio either.

Has anybody encountered this before or can suggest a better player.

Mel

I'm Mike.

I found Volumio2 to be slow and laggy on my Win 10 pc when I tried it last week. I always use MoOde as Tim (Developer of it) is on here and seems to work on it every day.

Plenty MoOde users on here too if you need help.

I'm Mel.

Thanks for the advice and I agree with your slow and laggy comments even on a Mac.

Second pi now set up with MoOde and has connected to my Synology iTunes folder quickly and without problem.

It did highlight one issue with a user id I was trying to use with Volumio and only came to light as MoOde gives some feedback on connection errors which Volumio doesn't.

The 2 players have a very similar look and feel and my initial thoughts are MoOde works quickly and easily but is not as 'visually attractive' as the slower and less friendly Volumio.

So for now I will listen with MoOde while I investigate the Volumio issues until I either solve them or give up and dump it.

I'm Grant.

I like volumios looks too. Thought it sucked otherwise. Still not got it to work without issue while moode works pretty much flawlessly, for me anyways.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Cycleallday View Post
    Thanks for the advice and I agree with your slow and laggy comments even on a Mac.

Second pi now set up with MoOde and has connected to my Synology iTunes folder quickly and without problem.

It did highlight one issue with a user id I was trying to use with Volumio and only came to light as MoOde gives some feedback on connection errors which Volumio doesn't.

The 2 players have a very similar look and feel and my initial thoughts are MoOde works quickly and easily but is not as 'visually attractive' as the slower and less friendly Volumio.

So for now I will listen with MoOde while I investigate the Volumio issues until I either solve them or give up and dump it.
    These are exactly my thoughts too.

MoOde just works

+ Reply to Thread