+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: If Your System Always Sounds 'Nice', Is There Something Wrong With It?

I'm Shane.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Do some gardening!
    Tried it, didn't work! Impulsive buying is better for me

S.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by southall-1998 View Post
    Tried it, didn't work! Impulsive buying is better for me

S.
    I know the feeling. I used to be just the same.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Julian.

I couldn't agree with you more Geoff, but sometimes you don't know what you are missing out on until it's revealed to you by making changes to your system.
    Also your ears get used to hearing music a certain way.

What set me on the path to discovering a more transparent and accurate sound was spending time tube rolling my phono stage. It was a revelation and took me a little while to acclimatise to the new 'honesty' of the system but once I did I realised I could never go back to what I had before. With my 'nice' system all recordings sounded pretty good but with my latest system the best recordings sound hugely better and the weaker ones show their limitations.
    Sonore Rendu - Cambridge Audio Edge W - Sonus Faber Venere 2.5

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by julesd68 View Post
    with my latest system the best recordings sound hugely better and the weaker ones show their limitations.
    This is what I want from a system Julian. No benevolent treatment of inadequate source material. That's just wrong. All the information should come through so it can be judged on its merits (or lack of).

I like your term "honesty". That is the key.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    This is what I want from a system Julian. No benevolent treatment of inadequate source material. That's just wrong. All the information should come through so it can be judged on its merits (or lack of).

On the other hand the recording gets blamed far too often when it is actually the system that sounds dog rough. Bland but well recorded and produced recordings get a little bit of artificial edge that makes them sound a little more 'live', average recordings sound hard and bad recordings are unlistenable. But because the system enhances the bland it is considered to be 'showing up' poor recordings, so accomplished is it. If I had a quid for every time I heard 'I never realised how many bad recordings are out there until I upgraded to XXX' I could afford to buy Audio Note and Harbeth. New.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Shane.

Then others like having a ''phoney'' sounding system

S.

danilo Guest

Finally learned, after decades of striving for a genuinely revealing/precise playback setup.. That particular idol does have Clay feet
    Revealing is exactly that .
    V good recordings are sublime.. truly.
    Average ones are tolerable and the bulk (half of my collection actually sounds like Shite)
    Poorly recorded /mastered ? whatever the reason it sucks.
    I've reverted/taken a step back to mid fi CD playback and Cheapy AT carts. Now 3/4's of my recordings are merely V nice... and many are V good.

Care in what one aspires to

I'm Martin.

You've got to go there before you can come back
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    How does one know if a 'revealing' system isn't exaggerating one thing over something else? I don't mean to bait, but so many stereo's I've heard in my time seem to major on the owners preferences

Quote Originally Posted by julesd68 View Post
    ... you don't know what you are missing out on until it's revealed to you by making changes to your system.
    ... or hearing a familiar recording in someone else's system and thinking "wtf "

Last edited by jandl100; 15-11-2016 at 08:07.

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Of course no bit of equipment is totally transparent so personal taste in terms of colouration is always going to matter to some degree. But I dislike systems that are tailored to sound 'exciting' or, at the opposite end of the spectrum, those that are tailored to sound 'beautiful' since they favour some types of music and recordings over others and begin to dictate your listening choices for you.
    Every system I have heard does that to a significant extent.

We all base our system choices on our own musical and subjective preferences.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123