+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replacing an AV amp

I'm Jerry.

Default Replacing an AV amp

I have a Yamaha receiver that's getting a bit long in the tooth (maybe 9 years old) and want to replace it with a mid price AV amp. The Denon AVR-2300w has caught my eye and gets good reviews. One thing I want is plenty of HDMI sockets.
    I am a bit out of touch with whats going on in the AV world, what do I need in the specification?
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

I'm Phil.

yes great amp . worth buying the next model up if you want pre outs to integrate with your hi fi . that's what I use

http://petertyson.co.uk/index.php/de....html?___SID=U

you can probably shop around for a cheaper deal than this though
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Jerry.

Thanks Phil,
    I will probably stick with the 2300 as I keep the hifi separate from the AV system.
    Things have moved on a lot since I last looked at AV gear. HDMI is on 2.2 and there is now ARC HDMI so one remote can control the amp and TV. Lots to read up on over xmas!
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

I'm keith.

ive got the model below, the 2200 and its been fine for me. All the HDMI ports i need and works fine.

I'm Jerry.

Anyone tried Dolby Atmos? Is it worth getting another two speakers that fire upwards?
    Jerry

I'm Mike.

As i've said in other threads, adding more and more speakers can be tricky, i've found siting 6 speakers hard enough and in my room i couldn't do 8 so 5.1 is where i draw the line at the moment, regarding a new amp i would look at last seasons models, what i mean by this is if you're happy with what you have sonically (you don't wan't 7.1 or atoms) but need HDMI then a new old stock amp will be significantly cheaper, plus you will more than likely get more power, higher quality, better sound and only miss out on the new fangled Dolby gizmo, the thing is in the A/V world unlike your traditional stereo amps which will have longer shelf lives cos at the end of the day an amp is an amp, there is always something new just around the corner and so in some cases a NOS A/V amp may be superseded after only a year.

Food for thought

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Jerry.

Thanks Jack, I bought the Denon and am very pleased with it. Is does a lot more than the old AV amp and has all the sockets I need.
    The two upward firing speakers will remain an itch I will have to scratch at some point.
    Next thing is a new 55 inch TV.........
    Jerry

I'm Mike.

Next thing is a new 55 inch TV.........
    Cool, i can get discount on TV's and such like from my employer, let me know what you're after and when and i'll get you a price

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Jerry.

Great, i will bear that in mind.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Jerry

I'm Jerry.

Oooh, sorry about calling you Jack when your name is Mike!
    Jerry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast