+ Reply to Thread

Thread: SDS (Soundeck) damping puck query

I'm Anthony.

Default SDS (Soundeck) damping puck query

Hi, has anyone tried the SDS record puck on the techie SL1210? it weighs 745gm - is this too much weight? Appreciate everyones comments/experience.
    My system:

Kenwood KD600/ Alphason HR100S MCS/ Audio Technica ATOC9Mk3 or Technics SL1210/ KAB bearing mod/KAB TD1200 fluid damper/Sumiko HS12 headshell/ Audio Technica ATOC9Mk2

Icon Audio PS3Mk2 phono stage (or Primare R32 phono stage plus Beyerdynamic SUT), KAB RF-1 rumble filter, Icon audio LA4 Mk3 preamp, Icon Audio MB90Mk2m mono blocks, Solid Tech Rack of Silence 4, Tannoy Glenair 10 speakers, Nordost Leif series Red dawn and Blue heaven interconnects, Neotech 3002 speaker cables

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by Ants View Post
    Hi, has anyone tried the SDS record puck on the techie SL1210? it weighs 745gm - is this too much weight? Appreciate everyones comments/experience.
    Hi Anthony,

Opinions will differ. There are loads of really nice pucks and weights out there and some do offer benefit and 'improvement' in my experience. I' m very happy with the one I use.
    In terms of weight I've never liked the idea of heavy. Cant fully explain why but it just doesn't sit comfortably with me (no pun intended ).
    I have the Mike New bearing which some say is so well made and substantial that it is more than capable of accommodating a pretty heavy puck or record weight.
    The one I use is 340grams and feels pretty heavy in my hand. It just feels more than enough for the job to me. If it fell on my foot or wooden floor it would not be good at all. Why would i need more ??
    Many are twice and more the weight of what I use - not for me.
    Not sure how substantial the bearing you use is but my personal view and that is all it is, is that you dont need 745gm (house brickish) plonked on your platter.
    All the best whatever you decide
    Last edited by RobbieGong; 12-11-2016 at 11:23.

I'm jamie.

whats the theory behind using these? to flatten warped records? damp the platter?
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by jamie123 View Post
    whats the theory behind using these? to flatten warped records? damp the platter?
    Good question Jamie.

The bottom line and in simple terms is that a record that is properly coupled to the mat and platter is one of the important elements towards realising good vinyl replay.
    There is a thin line though, by that i mean that clamps for instance used on some decks can result in 'the life being sucked out of the music' whilst on other decks sonic improvement is experienced.
    I've tried both clamp and weight so it's a bit of a suck and see thing as is with a fair bit of this hifi journey.

I'm Anthony.

I'm using the Sota reflex clamp (it grasps the spindle when its clamped) - seems to be a smidgeon tighter , clearer, quieter compared to passive, weight type weights. I've never tried very heavy ones over 400gm however....was wondering, given the SDS isoplatmat works so well, maybe the Soundeck/ SDS puck should or could be helpful...
    My system:

Kenwood KD600/ Alphason HR100S MCS/ Audio Technica ATOC9Mk3 or Technics SL1210/ KAB bearing mod/KAB TD1200 fluid damper/Sumiko HS12 headshell/ Audio Technica ATOC9Mk2

Icon Audio PS3Mk2 phono stage (or Primare R32 phono stage plus Beyerdynamic SUT), KAB RF-1 rumble filter, Icon audio LA4 Mk3 preamp, Icon Audio MB90Mk2m mono blocks, Solid Tech Rack of Silence 4, Tannoy Glenair 10 speakers, Nordost Leif series Red dawn and Blue heaven interconnects, Neotech 3002 speaker cables

I'm gerald.

I got these pucks http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ice-Hockey.../112208249363?
    took my time to find the centre drilled a hole in stages grips well .
    The results helps on warped records massively I have reduced my tracking by 0.4 grm and no problem paying them now overall sound has improved not bad for a quid .

I'm Stephen.

Default SDS (Soundeck) damping puck query

Quote Originally Posted by Ants View Post
    Resurrecting this old thread as I have just taken delivery of a Soundeck DPS damping puck.
    I don’t usually respond to “offer emails” but Les at Soundeck was offering a nice discount.

I was very happy with my Bruil weight for many years but I have to say the DPS has made a noticeable improvement in stereo imaging, instrument clarity & separation and bass extension.

It is a weighty but beautifully crafted item - as I have a MN bearing I’m not concerned about the additional mass. Platter rotation stops dead with minor adjustment to the “brake”.

At £97.50 for the SS/Technics version it isn’t cheap but it certainly delivers the goods in my system (highly modded SL1210/Jelco TK850s/Denon DL-S1.

Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by worrasf; 03-01-2019 at 18:18.
    Always a little further

+ Reply to Thread