+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Next steps...

I'm Richie.

Default Next steps...

Hi all,

I'm after opinions/guidance/ideas for where to consider heading with my system.

Currently, it's a Michell Focus One (Linn Basik LV V with a Denon DL109D - thanks Tom!), feeding a Firebottle into a Pioneer SA9500, then out some Cura CA21s. Digital stuff is covered by a Beresford Caiman II.

I am really pleased with the set up. I am 100% happy with listening to the music that I have accumulated. I'd now like to hear your opinions on where things could be improved or changed. The amp has sentimental value(and investment) so I expect it will be speakers, but they were a bargain, so I am not sure where to look for improvements. Maybe I need to hear some other systems for inspiration.

Music: Obscure '70s rock, metal, blues, funk, soul and anything interesting.

As I said, things have never sounded so good, and I am happy to keep listening, but I am enjoying the journey.

Please forgive my self indulgence and let me know your thoughts.

Richie

I'm Geoff.

You have a nice system.

It's hard to point a finger at a weak area within the context of what you have. Your arm and cartridge match the turntable well. The phono stage and amp, I'm sure work together nicely. You suggest speakers, but Curas were very good and you may have your work cut out to improve on them at a sensible price.

One thing. Whilst the mid and top end should be excellent, Curas were never the most impactful in bass. Have you considered a compact sub-woofer? It could be beneficial.

Also, are your interconnects and speaker cables decent quality? They can make a huge difference. Poor cabling sucks the life out of the sound.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Richie.

Thanks Geoff.

Speaker cable is 2.5mm Van Damme studio blue and the interconnects are no-name jobs (bought from the forum). I'd def be interested in trying me I/Cs. I might be limited going for larger diameter speaker cable by the inputs on the amp.

Not thought of a sub woofer, but never really felt let down by the bass of the curas. Maybe worth exploring.

I'm Grant.

Inclined to agree. if it sounds very good, then maybe leave it alone. cables, like speaker ones especially can have a fair impact on speakers on occasion. Rca's sometimes too. maybe some home brew ones which are very good but not too expensive. VD 2.5 is ok but can be bettered
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

There's no reason to suppose your Van Damme speaker cables would let down the system. Although thin cabling could compromise the sound, huge cables are largely a fad in my opinion.

Most reputable interconnects are decent enough (with the odd exception), but up to a point the more you spend the better you get, but I'm not suggesting spending silly money. I have a liking for pure copper cores. They just seem to let the system flow and sound cleaner. I have found silver plated and pure silver cabling a bit ruthless on occasion.

eBay is great for decent second hand cables, especially if you know the more obscure good brands. They can be bargains.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

Ive got 2 sets of VD 2.5 and its good stuff, but it can in my opinion be bettered for not so much; but like most hifi, it depends on your likes etc. Could try the thicker VD 6 mm i think it is still blue. its a bit better all round.
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Richie.

I'll keep a lookout on the bay. I've really tried to not get caught up in the cable wars, perhaps to my detriment. It does seem an easy route for experimentation.

Maybe a posh pomerol and a few new records is a better bet!

Thanks again.

I'm Richie.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Ive got 2 sets of VD 2.5 and its good stuff, but it can in my opinion be bettered for not so much; but like most hifi, it depends on your likes etc. Could try the thicker VD 6 mm i think it is still blue. its a bit better all round.
    I don't think it will go into the sockets on the amp. Maybe worth a try.

I'm Richie.

Come to think of it, do you have the same sockets on your Pioneer? Could you try the 6mm and let me know, please?

I'm Grant.

something like this would solve your connector worries.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3209957857...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I dont have 6 mm at moment but, no it wont go into the holes, thus some bright spark invented these.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast