+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stylus AWOL

Bigman80 Guest

Was a Nagaoka MP11 on here a few days back for pennies. I'd have a go at that.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by wee tee cee View Post
    Thanks chaps...cant say Im overly enamoured with the carbon-Daves stodgy description is spot on, also a bit crackly even on new vinyl!!!

Grant you read my mind-the shoe budget is on a shaky nail( seeing as I just spent 30 minutes raking through hoover dust in the bin outside with my son holding the torch swearing lots).

Rega recommend a cart in the upgrade pack-reckon a ton would be my psychological limit.
    Quick reply - the Carbon is NOT a UK made Rega cartridge and I prefer it to the Bias models and even the Elys, which are made in their factory and used to suffer a terminal bass rise with a softening of definition, which destroyed any trace of neutrality for me - maybe they've tamed it now, but the Exact still does it, albeit far less than the others. The Carbon tracks at UNDER 2g and I personally found 1.8g was best if the bass wasn't to get too 'plummy.' At around 1.8g, there's some life and bounce and one can completely forget the very low price - in my opinion. More than 2g (as I heard the AT91 and ancestors years ago) and it really does get thick and stodgy.

I'm Brian.

I've got an AT95E and a Shure M44-7 here mate . I'll bring them over ASAP but I may have to enlist Gary to help setting it up . If you like either of them you can keep it
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

M44-7 has a HUGE output, double most others, so be warned as distortion may be the phono stage overloading and not mistracking in my experience...

I'm Rich.

Hmm. I always quite like a Rega cart on a Rega deck. Bias or Exact maybe? Mind you, for that money you could probably get a better deck/cart combination on here.
    One of these days... I'm going to cut you into little pieces.

I'm Brian.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    M44-7 has a HUGE output, double most others, so be warned as distortion may be the phono stage overloading and not mistracking in my experience...
    Thanks Dave , I'll bear that in mind
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm Dave.

No idea where this 'forum myth' of Rega cartridges being "dull and stodgy" comes from, as they are anything but. I sell more Rega cartridges than all the others put together and can't recall anyone complaining of them being "dull". They might not be bright but they are not "stodgy" as a quick listen will confirm.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    No idea where this 'forum myth' of Rega cartridges being "dull and stodgy" comes from, as they are anything but. I sell more Rega cartridges than all the others put together and can't recall anyone complaining of them being "dull". They might not be bright but they are not "stodgy" as a quick listen will confirm.
    I've heard Rega cartridges sounding very good. But never had decent results on my system. Same with Nagoakas. I think it must be a system balance characteristic. My gear is set up to sound just right with Deccas and ZYX MC's (amongst others).
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Dave.

Early and I mean very early, Rega cartridges had a warm balance but the past 10 years or so, they have become far more neutral. I believe this coincides with Rega's manufacturing being all in house.

Put a Rega cartridge on a Rega turntable or on a Rega arm and you can appreciate the speed and neutral balance.

Decca cartridges are very fast and dynamic and they make practically everything else sound "stodgy". The closest I have heard to a Decca is Rega's Apheta MC - a very lively and snappy cartridge.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    Put a Rega cartridge on a Rega turntable or on a Rega arm and you can appreciate the speed and neutral balance.
    Definitely. I've only heard Rega carts at their best on Rega turntables.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast