+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thorens TD 160 B Mk II Upgrade or change??

I'm Chris.

Default Thorens TD 160 B Mk II Upgrade or change??

Hi,

I have an ATR Thorens TD160 fitted with a Hadcock GH228 tonearm and A&R C77 cartridge dating back to the 1970's (picture attached). I haven't used it a great deal in recent years but am rediscovering an extensive vinyl collection and thinking about upgrading but I'm not sure what direction to go in. The other parts of my system are a Rotel RA01 amp and bi-wired Kef Cresta speakers mounted on Atacama stands.

My thoughts are;

1) Keep it as is
    2) Keep it and invest in some upgrades - does anyone have any experience with SRM TECH TD160 upgrade kit

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SRM-TECH-U...item4d4dece598

3) Sell and buy something else (budget around £750)

If anyone has any thoughts or advice I'd be really grateful

Thanks

Chris
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm Grant.

A few things you can do to make inroads without parting with all that cash, SrM tech do some good things but if your in any way handy you can improve it without spending too much.

Use some cork sheet glued to the under top plate with help with vibration. Make or buy a 10mm or so thick base plate. use the old one as a template. The srm tripod discs in that list can be bought cheap. they make a good improvement. Dump the rubber mat and get a cork/rubber mix one(ebay) they do a 2 piece one thats good. a new belt as well makes a big difference.
    A better cart maybe second hand if you want, and a better but no need to be silly expensive phono stage will help too.
    Other thing if you want later is a bigger more solid plinth if you fancy it, but meantime you can add a bit of mass to the one you have with a little strengthening.

It'll sound pretty decent with the mods alone, and the cart/ phono will lift it more. There is a limit to how far it will improve though. Its a capable deck and the mods wont cost much.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

It's a good turntable and you have a pretty decent arm on it. Just a few tweeks along the lines Grant has mentioned and you're set for another twenty years, You'd have to spend well over a grand new to better it. You can even get high quality styli for the A&R cartridge.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Chris.

Thanks for your comments and suggestions, much appreciated. It's good and bad news to hear I'd need to spend north of a grand to better the TD160, installing a sturdy base, strenghtening the plinth and putting a new belt and mat on should be pretty inexpensive improvements but then again I've always wanted an LP12 and I'm not getting any younger!

Chris

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Knowing the TD160 family so well I have to be very careful here.

I suggest a nicer plinth, such as one made by Layers of Beauty's Russ Collinson. The deck lifts hugely and looks so much posher in one of these and I'm told it sounds better for it too, although I'd have a block fitted for mains and signal lead anchoring as per the original. I have a 160 Super plinth waiting for mine to be done at some point and again, the thicker base may make things more rigid, but I remember LP12's sounding better sometimes with no base at all... All subjective I know.

The C77 could have a new replacement P77 (PN7) stylus fitted. The people who made the later ones were Expert Stylus Co. and I believe they still have them at fair prices. FAR better than the dull old C77 in my opinion.

If the belt is a year or three old, I'd get a new pukka Thorens one as well. Not sure if an external power supply might smooth the motor down, but it might.

I'm Hugh.

Fettle the deck and arm if desired. As previously mentioned, you'd have to spend more than your £750 to buy better.

The cartridge needs to go though. There's room for real improvement there.

I'm Grant.

Here is the one I did. It sounded very good

Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

danilo Guest

Might it not be more effective to see to upgrading the System.
    Rather than zeroing in on the pore TT as being in immediate need of improvement ?
    A Phono stage improvement often makes genuine difference as does Amp and Speakers

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

A good TD160 has promise and the Hadcock is a potentially fine arm able to take many modern cartridges including its speciality - DECCA'S...

A PN7 stylus will be enough and the other £670 or so could go on at least a speaker upgrade and possibly an amp one too

I'm bob.

Quote Originally Posted by Buck Boogie View Post
    I've always wanted an LP12 and I'm not getting any younger!
    This is the standout line for me.

If you've really always wanted one, and can afford it, get one!

R

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast