Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Alan.

Default MiBO 2016 Photos, Videos and Comments

Got to the event early, got all the gear in, was a bit sparsely poulated:

The gear end of the room:

This new phono stage made its appearance:

Equipment table:

Barrington brought along a fantastic creation, a much improved Rega TT, with many layers of vibration control:

Much amp swapping was done:

When Ali arrived his Tandberg R2R was put in to really good effect, it was stunning:

A side shot also showing Ali's Slagle (?) TVC passive in the foreground, installed a little later:

Ali's modified 2000 head amp with all Z foil resistors plus external supply gave extremely spacious sound, in comparison with my standard one there was definitely more of everything in the presentation:

Lastly for this photo round up, Justin's Pro amp was on power duties to rather good effect:

Overall some stunning sounds were heard, the stars of the day for me were Barringtons amazing TT plus the venerable 40 plus year old Quad ESL57's, which accepted everything thrown at them with aplomb

I might add at rather higher volume levels than I have ever used them before

Brilliant first day chaps, more to come from today.
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

I'm Peter.

Cheers, Martin .... thanks for organising an excellent event.
    Particularly enjoyed the Guinness

I'm Ken.

Well, what a great day, really enjoyed it.

Big thanks to Martin for taking the initiative and organising the first of what I hope will be many more midland get togethers.
    I think this is the way forward for AoS gatherings, small regional meets, come on you slackers in the South, your up next

Good turn out, some wonderful individual kit and combinations and as usual fab tunes, I thought the spirit of the meet was spot on, making the day a great success.

I'm Justin.

These sounded a lot better raised up here I think. They seemed to gain more snap, focus and speed, with better bass definition. They sounded really good, in fact, better than the video hints at I suspect but all I have to listen to it on at the mo is TV speakers.

As Martin hinted earlier, these 57's shut down a couple of amps, the only one able to do the job seemed to be the Apart Champ, which was clipping trying to drive them loud. A real Scintilla of an ESL 57! Quite what was going on I really don't know.

The modified Rega displayed zero obvious flaws of any kind. I was really impressed with it, to say the least. Top job.

Had to cut the video short by a minute as Marco made an appearance and from his remarks I think Hollywood style stardom is not for him

YouTube is throwing a wobbler and won't show the JBL video I uploaded. When I try and upload it again, it says it's already there (but I can't see it). Maybe in time it'll sort itself out.

Great review comments from Martin, BTW.

I'm Geoff.

I see the inevitable 'James Newton Howard' LP made an appearance.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post

These sounded a lot better raised up here I think. They seemed to gain more snap, focus and speed, with better bass definition. They sounded really good, in fact, better than the video hints at I suspect but all I have to listen to it on at the mo is TV speakers.

As Martin hinted earlier, these 57's shut down a couple of amps, the only one able to do the job seemed to be the Apart Champ, which was clipping trying to drive them loud. A real Scintilla of an ESL 57! Quite what was going on I really don't know.

The modified Rega displayed zero obvious flaws of any kind. I was really impressed with it, to say the least. Top job.

Had to cut the video short by a minute as Marco made an appearance and from his remarks I think Hollywood style stardom is not for him

YouTube is throwing a wobbler and won't show the JBL video I uploaded. When I try and upload it again, it says it's already there (but I can't see it). Maybe in time it'll sort itself out.

Great review comments from Martin, BTW.
    Sounded like 2 different records playing at once
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Sounded like 2 different records playing at once
    You probably played the video twice out of sync with each other. I've had that happen when you click to play in the forum window and then click the YouTube link afterwards to watch it full screen.

I'm Steve.

Just got home and reflecting on yesterday's events.fantastic day Martin. You must be well chuffed. Great kit and great people. A massive thank you to Martin for organising and choosing an ideal gaff for the day. I will post pictures later after an emergency kip.

I'm Martin.

Great videos, Justin. Agree about the raised up QUADS, in fact I think everyone did. Could be a new product line for ESL owners, audiophile carvery buffet counters. I think it also helped that it gave them about another 10 feet behind them to the back wall so the back wave had space to dissipate which tightened up the sound a lot.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Alan.

Default MiBO aftermath

What a stunning weekend, we have had a laugh and it has been fantastic to meet fellow AoS folk.
    Here is the 'after' photo once the kit has returned:

I'll be hanging the '57s later and will post in the gallery.

Here's to the next MiBO

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast