+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gasket material

I'm Chris.

Default Gasket material

The aim is to put a vibration absorbing gasket between front speaker baffle and driver. This gasket can be cut from a sheet, perhaps about 3-4 mm thick, but what material to choose?

Under consideration are cork, rubber, Sorbothane. What would you recommend?

I'm Geoff.

The idea of gaskets between drivers and baffles is to make an airtight seal. Not vibration damping. Although there will be a minor element of this. Drive units should (generally) be firmly enough fixed to the baffle that vibration due to looseness cannot happen (although all speaker parts will resonate).

Craft foam sheet from art shops is good for gaskets, as is self adhesive foam strip. Both can be had in black.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    The idea of gaskets between drivers and baffles is to make an airtight seal. Not vibration damping. Although there will be a minor element of this. Drive units should (generally) be firmly enough fixed to the baffle that vibration due to looseness cannot happen (although all speaker parts will resonate).

Craft foam sheet from art shops is good for gaskets, as is self adhesive foam strip. Both can be had in black.
    Thanks, but perhaps I should explain fully. My application would be slightly different. Its for use on an open baffle speaker to stop vibrations from the 15" driver transferring to the mid range and tweeter. Its a recognised practice in OBs to mount drivers on acoustically isolated panels. I have no idea if this will help SQ but I love experimenting.

I'm Geoff.

In that case. Perhaps you could experiment with rubber 'standoff' bushes and just use gasket for sealing where the standoffs leave gaps. Although, in this context, it would make more sense to me to isolate the mid & tweeter. Roksan did in their godawful Darius speakers.

It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

danilo Guest

remember years (decades?) ago seeing a Speaker with it's tweeter suspended with 4 rubber bands... rather than springs.
    Believe it was a real product speaker as opposed to a shed cobble up. From Memory though.
    Beyond that I recently fitted 'silent' fans to my pore computer.. Antek brand .. same as the case, they have Very soft silicone grommets with a soft silicone rubber locking centre.
    Isolates amazingly well. Likely to do same on a tweeter.

+ Reply to Thread