+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Technics EPA-250 Cartridge Matching Concerns

I'm Spencer.

Default Technics EPA-250 Cartridge Matching Concerns

Technics EPA-250 Cartridge Matching Concerns
    Hi, I am awaiting delivery of a Technics SP10 mkII with EPA-250 arm (i.e. EPA500 armbase & EPA-A250 Wand). Documentation states that Effective arm mass: 14g (without cartridge). Separately, I've read that the Technics headshell weighs 7.5g (with option to add 2g or 4g weights when needed). As I study up on this arm and try to narrow my sights for a cartridge purchase a couple of headscratchers are bogging me down. Any insights are appreciated.

1) For use of resonance calculators does the 14g effective mass include or exclude the 7.5g headshell?

2) The EPA-250 owners manual includes a little chart showing "Suitable Cartridge Weight & Compliance Relationships". It suggests adding headshell weights w/carts from 3g-6g; No headshell weights with carts 6-8g; and adding the auxilary counterweight for carts weighing 10.5-12.5g. No mention is made of the range 8g-10.5g! Of course, this range fits a number of my cartridge candidates. So what's the best way to adjust for that? Specs show "Cartridge weight range 3,0g – 12,5g".

3) In general, I've read that moderate mass tonearms are good companions for moderate to low compliance cartridges. One of the carts I'm considering is AT ART9, which is rated 18 x 10-6 cm / dyne (@100 Hz), 35 static. Formulas I've read suggest that to convert to 10hz calculations to multiply the 18 by 1.5-2.0. So that would avg. a compliance of 31.5. The other method suggests halving the static figure, which would lead to compliance of 17.5. Using the first method concludes that with a resonance ~7hz my tonearm is not a good match. The second method yields more favorable results. What's the real world result more likely to show? I've read all the raves on the ART-9 already, but want to focus on whether or not its compliance is too high to mate with this arm? Would a lighter than the 7.5g headshell help and are their any particular ones that you'd suggest. Most of the headshells I see are heavier.

4) Any EPA-250 users care to share their preferred cartridges on this arm?

Cheers,
    Spencer
    Sota Star Sapphire V turntable, SME V, Dynavector XX2, MkII MC cartridge, Nagra BPS battery powered phono stage
    Digital: Server Synology DS415+ / Sonore microRendu / Schiit Audio Gungnir Multibit / Custom Linear Power Supply by Ecco Audio
    Both: BAT VK51SE > Krell FPB-300 amp > Sound Lab A3 ESLs > 50 yr. old ears(left-handed)

I'm Blake.

Don't own or have experience with the EPA 250 but I would expect the following:

1) Stated effective mass of 14 would include the headshell.
    2) The weight of the Art 9 is perfect for the EPA 250 (falls in the weight range where neither headshell weights need to be used because the cartridge is too light or a heavier counterweight needs to be used because the cartridge is too heavy).
    3) Compliance on the Art 9? This is a tougher one but based on the recommended tracking force and the fact that it's a MC cartridge I think real world compliance is probably going to be in the 15-18 range maximum. Highly compliant cartridges most often have lower tracking forces and you also don't see MC's in the real world too often that are actually highly compliant.

In short, I would think the ART 9 would be a very good match for your new arm. There's a pretty lengthy thread at Audiogon with multiple users of the cartridge being very happy using the cartridge with different arms in the 12-16 gram effective mass range.

The ART 9 is supposed to be fabulous. Go for it!

I'm Spencer.

Default Other Carts Under Consideration

Blake,

Thanks for the detailed reply and covering so much ground there.

Other than the Art9, contenders at present are:
    Dynavector DV20X2-L
    Denon DL-S1(good opportunity on a used one from a friend)
    NOS Ortofon Kontrapunkt A( also good price from a friend)
    perhaps Dynavector XX2 if cost proves not too high for now.

Fortunate to have many viny/audio junkies nearby and one who owns XX2 is going to bring it to another friend's place where ART9 rides on Terminator T3, fully Mike New modded SL1200 connected to a truly SOTA rig with Spectral electronics & huge Evolution Acoustics MM3 speakers. Where my system is not in the same league, it will still be a great opportunity to listen to XX2 and ART9 with quick wand switches on same table. If I prefer ART9, that might just settle it. If I prefer XX2 by a bunch, then the "family house sound" thinking pops up and I will be wondering how much of the XX2 strengths will I get with DV20X2-L.

The DL-S1 owner has a Pass phono stage that lets him run very low output carts without a SUT. He also has an ART7 and Ortofon MC2000. He prefers both to the Denon, hence the availability of the DL-S1. I haven't yet heard an S1, but always enjoyed Zu-103 and 103Rs that I've heard in a number of systems, although their decidely rockin' nature might be better for scratching the rock itch than serving as the main chameleon serving my genre-hopping from Albeniz to Zappa.

Anyone with experience with any of these contenders care to chime in?
    Sota Star Sapphire V turntable, SME V, Dynavector XX2, MkII MC cartridge, Nagra BPS battery powered phono stage
    Digital: Server Synology DS415+ / Sonore microRendu / Schiit Audio Gungnir Multibit / Custom Linear Power Supply by Ecco Audio
    Both: BAT VK51SE > Krell FPB-300 amp > Sound Lab A3 ESLs > 50 yr. old ears(left-handed)

I'm scott.

The ART 9 is supposed to be fabulous. Go for it!
    yes it is indeed a fabulous cartridge
    works fine in any med/high mass rigid arm , fitted several recently ( jelco/sme/vertere/graham )

Superb sounding cartridge & 2nd only to the totally stunning new ART1000
    just installed one of these & one of the best at any price

+ Reply to Thread