+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bumpy's system

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Have you not been tempted to go active with a digital crossover? You seem to have paid a lot of attention to detail with this set up so I guess you considered it.

Very impressive set up btw
    Interesting question Macca.

In the past I have played a lot with digital crossovers and bi-amping of subs with main speakers etc. I mainly used the TACT 2.2X pre-amp for this purpose with an EAR 861 power amp driving the main speakers and a Class A Sugden A21 driving the subs. The system sounded beautiful, but I found myself being slowly dragged into becoming a reluctant programmer rather than just enjoying the music. What compounded this problem ten fold, was that I was a founder user of computer based music using Phasure XXHighend software. Anyone that has tried that will know its a nightmare to get right.

Fed up with all that fiddling of controls I lost interest in Hi-Fi for a couple of years, until I heard the system in Slawa's house and fell in love with music all over again. for me the essence of what I am doing is KISS (keep it simple stupid). Fewer components higher quality.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    look very nice... there were some grundig alnico tweeters like that on the bay earlier. seem nice magnet housings
    Been keeping an eye on those for spares but the seller has failed to respond to any of my question about further details. He is either away on holiday for a month or totally incompetent. I do however have a pair of Greencone tweeters in store in case anything nasty happens.

I'm Chris.

Been trying to get a good photo of the open baffle speakers. Quite difficult with shiny surface and lots of reflections.Open baffle.jpg

I'm Geoff.

Try using an LED torch or worklamp a few feet away from the speaker at an angle where it won't reflect towards the camera. I find that works.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Try using an LED torch or worklamp a few feet away from the speaker at an angle where it won't reflect towards the camera. I find that works.
    Thanks Geoff. Will give it a go later - listening to football at present

I'm Chris.

My system has been improved still further by the installation of SW1X silver cabling throughout. This includes:

USB cable
    All interconnects
    Speaker cables
    All mains cables

The high pass capacitor on the Saba Greencone has been bypassed to allow that driver to run full range. There is no fear of over extending the Sabas as my amps max out at 2 Watts but the improvement to SQ is great, with added gravitas in the lower midband.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Nice system, showing evidence of a goodly dose of lateral thinking. Looks great Chris, and I'm sure sounds it, too!

Just one thing - you need to learn to use Photobucket or Imageshack, and post properly enlarged pics... I bloody hate thumbnails!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Chris.

Just treated myself to the SW1X Universal Music Server UMS1 Signature, and its matching Power Supply UPS1 Signature. These are recently released products from SW1X and have serial numbers 02 - Slawa has 01 . Because of this, there are no reviews yet so I will add one later.

Still struggling with the structure here, so can you tell me which section to post it in

[IMG][/IMG]

I'm Chris.

I'm Chris.

A passive preamp slips seamlessly into the system.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast