+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bumpy's system

I'm Chris.

Default Bumpy's system

I have just nearly completed my ideal system with the installation of a pair of DRD 45 monoblocks from Ron Welborne. When I bought these, they were good but not great and had hum through the speakers that with time became increasingly invasive on the music.

With any bit of DIY kit one is at the mercy of the builder in terms of quality and component decisions. So I handed the amps over to Slawa at SW1X to have checked over, the hum reduced, and any in particular make a start at introducing components that have better SQ.

As expected Slawa breathed his magic into the amps. Out went the solid state power supply with horrible sounding ceramic capacitors and in came a valve based rectified power supply. Inadequate capacitance on the B+ was boosted with Audionote Kaisei capacitors. The well reviewed EML solid plate 45's were retained but a better driver valve was used to balance its modern sound. Its now a great performer. Other components were improved on.

I will follow up with pictures of my other components soon.

drd 45 improved_small.jpg
    Last edited by bumpy; 04-11-2016 at 11:17.

I'm Geoff.

I like the look of those Chris. Nice uncluttered appearance.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I like the look of those Chris. Nice uncluttered appearance.
    Ron Welborne gained a very polarised reputation. He was a great designer, working with Jack Elliano in the US to produce some very highly regarded products. But, his business acumen finally let him down with many unsatisfied customers. Jack Elliano has his own separate business.

Looking inside the amps, there are a few obvious areas of cost cutting in components, but the basic design (priced for the DIY market) is good, and nothing a competent person like Slawa cant put right. Who knows what the future might hold for these amps, perhaps silver wiring, Black Gates throughout, and silver output transformers are available from Jack Elliano.

I particularly like that the amps run nice and cool. It feels like the amps are coasting, but the sound suggests otherwise.
    Last edited by bumpy; 04-11-2016 at 11:25.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by bumpy View Post
    silver output transformers are available from Jack Elliano.
    Nice. But sounds like mega bucks though.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Nice. But sounds like mega bucks though.
    I know, It gets a bit frightening.

I'm Chris.

Music starts its travels from a 1TB external hard drive with its own power supply.

This is connected via an unpowered USB cable to a Raspberry Pi 2 running Moode Audio software. The RPi is fitted with Wi Fi dongle to allow me to program the music from my seat using a Hudl 2.

The RPi itself is powered by a Longdog linear power supply - a big step up from the switching power supply.

Signal out is via USB to an SW1X USB Signature box and thence via phono interconnects to an SW1X DAC Signature. Both these SW1X boxes are pictured and are reviewed elsewhere. My feeling is that getting the signal from digital to analogue is one of the most important places to invest your money.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bumpy; 04-11-2016 at 13:42.

I'm Chris.

Today we have a look at the Open Baffle speakers. Vintage Alnico drivers throughout, Grundig tweeters, Greencone mids, and Altec subs. All silver wired with improved 1st order crossover components from SW1X including Black Gates and Audionote

P1070317.jpg

P1070326.jpg

P1070329.jpg

P1070327.jpg

P1070328.jpg
    Last edited by bumpy; 24-11-2016 at 19:31.

I'm Chris.

I'm Martin.

Have you not been tempted to go active with a digital crossover? You seem to have paid a lot of attention to detail with this set up so I guess you considered it.

Very impressive set up btw
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

look very nice... there were some grundig alnico tweeters like that on the bay earlier. seem nice magnet housings
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast