+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deceased Dulci............

I'm Dave.

Default Deceased Dulci............

Hi,
    Here are pictures of the early 1960s Dulci GA5 amp. This obviously is not ( or was not ) at the pinnacle of Hi-fi technology, I have put the pictures here for interest purposes only. I have been unable to find much out about this amp - it was given to me by my father many years ago after giving my uncle many years of service, as stated in an earlier post it has a date of 1961 on the can capacitor. I kept it more as a novelty rather than a useable piece of kit. When it did work, it was very quiet with no input, giving a rich warm sound on radio and p.u. as can be seen from the pics the mains cable was replaced at some time ( have just noticed there is no grommet on the case ). Also as a side issue I have also discovered that my multimeter has decided to go on strike, so when a new one has been obtained I will recheck the primary tx.

I am not a skilled practitioner of valve technology - although am well aware of the dangers of H.T. systems, especially high D.C. voltages - and hope to expand my knowledge and experience. May the gods of thermionics smile upon me.

Regards to all. Dave.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm Dave.

There's more...........
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm James.

If you don't fancy fixing it yourself you could always ask Firebottle.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Jez.

Indeed it wasn't the pinnacle of hi fi technology... mono and single ended class A.... a mighty 3-4W

Ok well all those black Hunts capacitors are dud and want replacing (you may find cracks in them if you look closely), The output valve is a nondescript after market one and may be suspect. The pretty Plesseys are probably working ok..ish and the selenium rectifier is highly suspect. When replacing with modern silicon unit you will need to add some dropper resistors in front of the SS one. A pair of 100 Ohm 5W wirewounds should suffice.
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Martin.

In lovely condition. Look almost brand new.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Dave.

Hi,

If I can put the Dulci aside a moment, Multimeter - my Cal-tek digital job has let me down, there are obviously a huge range on the market, so can I ask for a little advice;

Is it worth spending out on a Fluke or similar, or get a £20-30 unit and expect to replace it in a few years ?

Are the capacitance measurement facilities on 'budget' meters accurate enough ? Or is a dedicated capacitance meter worth the outlay ?

A re used AVO meters worth looking at ?

It would only be for hobby use, and I'm not as rich as creosote.

Any advice would be very welcome.

Regards. Dave.

I'm Jez.

A £20-30 unit will usually suffice for hobby use.
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm openingabottleofwine.

The only thing which has been renewed is the mains cable. Love the rudementary knot as a cable clamp!

If it were mine I'd replace all the capacitors. Remember hearing one in the late '60s (though it was probably a stereo version). It didn't sound too bad.
    Barry

I'm Grant.

Was always taught never to tie a knot in a mains cable as it can produce a hot spot. I have heard of folk doing it to protect from lightning .... I doubt it would work, although in theory it might make a small difference... more likely to go on fire I'd have thought.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Was always taught never to tie a knot in a mains cable as it can produce a hot spot. I have heard of folk doing it to protect from lightning .... I doubt it would work, although in theory it might make a small difference... more likely to go on fire I'd have thought.
    I was being sarcastic, though I have seen it done on table lamps etc. Can't see it make much difference: the increase in cable inductance would be miniscule. It just looks a bit naff.

When I used to do the stage lighting at school, the two cable ends always had a twist put in before the connectors were mated, so the connection couldn't be easily broken. I do the same with my lawnmower. In each case a 'knot' is formed.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast