+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The emotional factor in formats

I'm Nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Damn right - that's why I'm taking my wife here for our wedding anniversary (Dec 22nd) instead of buying Duncan's Copper DAC:

http://www.thestaratharome.co.uk/star_welcome.htm

The cost will roughly be the same by the time I pay for Champers, flowers, and all sorts of other surprises, but you've gotta keep yer woman happy

18 years of marital bliss, for us

Marco.
    Proper snap frum gud owd yarkshire eh..

I'm Nobody.

What i've started doing Marco, going out enjoying & buying more music instead of pumping it into h-fi that your never ever happy with long term! lifes too short man..Enjoy yourself anyway & congrats..I only lasted 14 years with the first, this wife will be for keeps tho

I'm David.

I think the important thing that threads like this portray is that we all enjoy our hobby in different ways, but pretty much to the same end!
    I agree with marco, I'd rather listen to badly recorded music I like on a good system and have the ability to listen to the well recorded music in as high a quality way as we can justify buying! That's why we are all on this forum!
    I don't mind listening to songs I pike on crap systems as long as I can come back to my hifi when I want to enjoy all the advantages it brings

Andre - there are indeed more important things in life than hifi but One ofthe most important things is happiness, and if hifi brings that happiness then screw the money and roll on the smiles I say!
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Proper snap frum gud owd yarkshire eh..
    Yeah baby!

We spied that place on the Hairy Bikers food programme. It looks fab, so hopefully it will be.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Neil.

Damn right - that's why I'm taking my wife here for our wedding anniversary (Dec 22nd) instead of buying Duncan's Copper DAC:

http://www.thestaratharome.co.uk/star_welcome.htm

http://www.thestaratharome.co.uk/star_accomm.htm

The cost will roughly be the same by the time I've paid for the room, meal, Champers, flowers, and all sorts of other surprises, but you've gotta keep yer woman happy, too!

18 years of marital bliss for us

Marco.
    Congratulations Marco and Dell..it will be 16 years for me and my wife next March. I am a truly blessed man with her.

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

I'd rather play crap recordings of music I love on a great system than listen to the same music on a crap system!
    I do partly agree. But I often listen to music through earphones whilst going to sleep. El cheapo (£20-£30) earphones as I go though a lot of them and I can't justify buying expensive ones just to trash in bed whilst I'm asleep.

I suppose some people are prepared to (or have to) compromise for one reason or another, whilst others won't. And some people can get enjoyment out of listening to a £2 tranny radio (no matter how good their system at home) whilst others can't.

why would you ever listen to music not to your taste?
    Same reason why some of us have to sit through Coronation Street?

What i've started doing Marco, going out enjoying & buying more music instead of pumping it into h-fi that your never ever happy with long term! lifes too short man..
    Yep, nothing wrong with that. It depends what you mean by "long term", though.

Generally, I keep most of my gear for at least 5 years before changing it, sometimes longer (the Spendors stayed for 8). I'm at the stage now where most of what I've got will be staying with me for the foreseeable future, as it's now very hard to find anything better without spending 'stupid' money.

I bet you that in 15 years time (if I'm still alive) I'll still be using my Copper amp and the Tannoys... Who knows, I may even have got into computer audio by then!

Enjoy yourself anyway & congrats..I only lasted 14 years with the first, this wife will be for keeps tho
    Cheers, dude. Same here. Del's one in a million - I'm defo a lucky b*stard!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

In answer to you all - life, is about compromise - screw that up, and you're f*cked... (witness the chap from the Naim forum...)
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by hamish View Post
    I think the important thing that threads like this portray is that we all enjoy our hobby in different ways, but pretty much to the same end!
    I agree with marco, I'd rather listen to badly recorded music I like on a good system and have the ability to listen to the well recorded music in as high a quality way as we can justify buying! That's why we are all on this forum!
    I don't mind listening to songs I pike on crap systems as long as I can come back to my hifi when I want to enjoy all the advantages it brings

Andre - there are indeed more important things in life than hifi but One ofthe most important things is happiness, and if hifi brings that happiness then screw the money and roll on the smiles I say!
    We have to remember that people use systems in different enviroments. Some guys may have massive dedicated listerning room that house speakers the size of sky scrapers & power amps big enough to power a space shuttle, other live in tiny houses with sensitive neighbours that have small scale system played at very low levels.

Clearly the bigger house with no limited volume is gonna give a bigger more realistic sound stage, where as the latter (which i fall into) will just sound very pleasant..Over the years i have come acustom to head phone listerning as my primary experience so put everything into that way of listerning, i actually prefer this to loudspeaker listerning! hence i have just a run off the mill floorstander that sounds just nice & visually appealing, wont win awards but why bother when it get maybe two listerns a year.

At the end of the day people listern in different ways, looking for different qualities.

Yeah baby!

We spied that place on the Hairy Bikers food programme. It looks fab, so hopefully it will be.
    Aye i love those two guys, they don't give a shit but the grub always turns out great..Can't beat long haired dudes

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    Congratulations Marco and Dell..it will be 16 years for me and my wife next March. I am a truly blessed man with her.
    Cheers, matey! You know what it's like when you land a good 'un

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast