+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Speakers have just come alive ??

I'm gerald.

Default Speakers have just come alive ??

I picked up a set of celestion ditton 15 xr changed the capacitors in them then the tweeter went .
    I then fitted a set of morel tld29 sound was ok then managed to get a mint set of celestion tweeters been in a few weeks now but over the last couple of nights the speakers have just come alive is this just the capacitors burning in nothing else changed in system..

I'm Geoff.

Could be that you're just getting used to hearing them as they're supposed to sound. Celestion were pretty good at designing speakers and it's not necessarily a given that they can be improved. At least, not without changing them very far from spec. I wouldn't mind betting that if you popped the original caps back in they'd probably sound just as good.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Martin.

If they have not been used much for a long time (and they are very old speakers now) it could be the drivers have loosened off a bit. That will make a noticeable improvement. A lot of speakers hardly ever get played and certainly not at any volume, even those 40 years old or more. You buy them, run them a few hours every night at a decent whack and they start to open up. Found that myself with the speakers I'm using now.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread