+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Ocellia calliope grandis signature .21 speakers. F.s.

I'm Mike.

Just happened on this thread, and glad I did. CHRIS, that video of the 'Choral' coda brought tears to my eyes; first time a U-tube video (or indeed anything) has done that fot the best part of a long time, AND on my computer with crappy headphones. Emotionally superb. Thanks (I think). G.L.W.S.

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Yes, big differences in presentation and intention.

Maybe do Justin's first and then relax from the hyperkinetic onslaught with Chris's.
    Made me smile. I'll stick with the 211s so he doesn't experience half a Kilowatt as per your last visit

montesquieu Guest

Just a quick report on my visit today to hear these at Chris's place. First impression is of beautiful curvy cabinets and a substantial presence in the room - really nice lookers (high WAF score for sure).

Soundwise, they are quite different to Tannoys ... Chris mentioned that one reviewer had described them as being like giant headphones which to me felt like a good summary. My comparison would have been more with electrostatics ... in particular, very pure with vocals and solo instrumental music.

I've had 'full range' single drivers myself before and most don't do bass in any convincing way. By contrast, the Ocellias have an adjustable vent/porting arrangement at the rear that allows tuning to the room and I was surprised just how low they went in-room. (The Ocellias are full range with the single driver augmented by a tweeter/supertweeter)

I played some of my usual stuff but we soon forgot about hifi and just got into tunes .. I came away with a few performers to look into, flamenco guitarists especially. (Thanks Chris).

Anyway for people attracted to the idea of less is more - no crossovers and consequently no crossover-induced phase issues to worry about, also easy to drive with flea power thanks to 96db sensitivity - these are definitely well worth looking into.

I'm Geoff.

The cabinets are unusual. Clearly a 'low energy storage' design, with thin walls and lightweight internal bracing. It's an idea I rather like and one that has been used to good effect elsewhere. I may give it a try in a speaker project sometime.

I'm Bernard.

Ocellia speakers are built like musical instruments to get the most out of the PHY drivers, which produce significant amount of energy.

The Ocellia design is very different to my A23 Solovox, so I would be interested to know if they also make the enclosures disappear with music played as if in space before you and not from speakers...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Turntable: Sony TTS-8000 ;Tonearm: Phonomac AT-1010 Mk6; Cartridges: SPU GTE / VDH Colibri XGP / Decca SC4E rebuilt by ESCO with Paratrace; Phono Stage: Shindo; SUT: Bob's Device Cinemag 1131; Pre Amp: Shindo Monbrison; Power Amp: Shindo WE 300B Limited; Speakers: Shindo Lafite / Auditorium23 Solovox; CD Player: EastSound CD-E5 / Sony PS1; Cables: Yannis 423.5; Yannis 223.5; VDH The First Ultimate; Totem Sinew; Audio Tekne ARSP-500 / Auditorium 23.

I'm Chris.

Yes, Berni. Just so; they seem to 'get out of the way' somehow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Berni217 View Post
    Ocellia speakers are built like musical instruments to get the most out of the PHY drivers, which produce significant amount of energy.

The Ocellia design is very different to my A23 Solovox, so I would be interested to know if they also make the enclosures disappear with music played as if in space before you and not from speakers...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Chris.

I'm Chris.

Just listening again, whilst catching up on mail. Amazing on guitars and voice. Never slightest regret at selling the Duos (after my 1/4 century of horns!).
    Just that life draws in, we're shedding things to deal with age and retirement (and...dare I think, moving?)
    Given up on big car after many in life.
    Once the Ocellias and Leak 3090s go, I'll be looking at something small.(Kroma Audio 'Mimi' maybe?)
    But...tomorrow never comes.
    Chris.

I'm Chris.

Check here for link.
    http://www.ocellia.com/Anglais/a-ocelliaa.html

(Press the links at top of page when it opens, for more info)
    Chris.

I'm Chris.

"Keen' buyer has gone v.quiet, so.....still here for me to enjoy.
    Not today, as I'm enjoying the sunshine (and the thought of Ole happily running United!)
    Life ain't bad (if my insomnia ever leaves me)
    Chris.

I'm Chris.

Still here - so am I.
    Always pleased to hear them when I get the inclination. They ARE lovely.
    Chris.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast