View Poll Results: How do you rate this album?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1/10

0 0%
  • 2/10

2 20.00%
  • 3/10

0 0%
  • 4/10

1 10.00%
  • 5/10

0 0%
  • 6/10

1 10.00%
  • 7/10

2 20.00%
  • 8/10

2 20.00%
  • 9/10

2 20.00%
  • 10/10

0 0%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Album Club, November 2016: LCD Soundsystem - 'Sound of Silver'

I'm Curator.

Default Album Club, November 2016: LCD Soundsystem - 'Sound of Silver'

The Album Choice for November comes courtesy of John (johnB) with 'Sound of Silver' by LCD Soundsystem. As always, please listen to the album in its entirety before you reply and/or vote.

Sound of Silver by LCD Soundsystem

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_of_Silver

James Murphy's second LP with his band LCD Soundsystem, in my opinion one of the best albums of this century (ok we're only 16 years into it). Wears it's influences with pride.....Krautrock, Bowie, Suicide, Punk, Heaven 17, Human League (in fact most 80's synth bands) Nile Rodgers, Chic etc etc.
    Still makes me want to dance at 55!

YouTube link:

Spotify link:

https://open.spotify.com/artist/066X20Nz7iquqkkCW6Jxy6, then click on the 'Sound of Silver' image.

I'm Loz.

A fine choice this one. And a reminder of what a great record this is. Their debut album was great but they really nailed it with Sound of Silver. As you say John it's got all those influences in abundance but done in their inimitable style. A formidable live act too as witnessed by the Glastonbury set this year.

Turn it up when you listen folks! A 9/10 from me.

Thanks John.

I'm Rich.

Yes, happy to revisit this one. I loved this when it was released but sort of lost touch with them later on.

Dare say John will never forgive me for missing them at Glastonbury this year. Can't remember where I was at the time or what I was doing but will go and find the set and watch it. Happy to give this one a solid 8.
    One of these days... I'm going to cut you into little pieces.

I'm Richard.

Well this IS timely!

These totally passed me by the first time around. I banded them in with the rest of the 'slightly too clever for their own good' hipstery zeitgeist capturing dance/rock crossover bands like MGMT and Daft Punk who I really cannot stand. Although there was always the odd song I heard on the radio by LCD Soundsystem I quite liked, I never took the time to explore them further as I'd already been put off.

A couple of years ago I remember seeing a trailer for a film they'd made called 'shut up and play the hits' about their final gig and again, although I thought at the time 'that looks interesting', I never got around to watching it, and given that it was about their final gig I thought that was the end of them.

Then they turn up at Glastonbury this year and they were brilliant. One of the highlights of the festival for me this year, but STILL the message hasn't sunk in and although I started listening to them a bit more, I STILL didn't explore the albums.

Now one turns up in the Album Club. Now I know we're supposed to be listening to the album all the way through before commenting, but my morning commute got me as far as track 5 this morning and I can quite honestly say 'I've been a fool to ignore them this long'. What an absolute breath of fresh air this album is. It could have been the beautiful crisp clear morning drive that put me in such a good mood this morning, but this is the best thing I've listened to in a good while and is serving to restore my faith in album listening. Every song (so far) has me hooked, it's all paced amazingly well and hangs together as an album wonderfully in spite of the fact that I was already familiar with a couple of songs which were pretty big singles. The production is simple, clean and free of too much studio sheen which I love.

I won't make my vote until I've gone through it all, but if it keeps up we're talking a 9 or a 10.

I need to go out and buy this immediately!

Top recommendation.
    Rich

I'm Martin.

Sorry not my sort of music. I only managed about 30 minutes worth as it seemed so repetitive and electronic. Must be my age.......
    Cannot score as I did not listen to the whole album.
    GyroDec 2M Black, Amplification: Luxman 505ux.
    Loudspeakers: Harbeth HL-K6

Quad 99 CD, Amplifier: Teac A H 500i, Loudspeakers: SCM11

Receiver: Teac CR H500, Loudspeakers: B&W CDM 1NT

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by high.spirits View Post
    Sorry not my sort of music. I only managed about 30 minutes worth as it seemed so repetitive and electronic. Must be my age.......
    Cannot score as I did not listen to the whole album.
    Repetitive and electronic......that's kind of the point.

Over and over and over and over and over,
    Like a monkey with a miniature cymbal,
    The joy or repetition really is in you.
    Under and under and under and under and under,
    The spell of repetition really is on you,
    And when I feel this way I really am with you.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Technics 1210/Mike New Bearing/Jelco SA750d/Goldring 2500/Paul Hynes SR5 21/27.
    Cambridge Audio 840c CD. Squeezebox Touch. Synology NAS.
    Teac A-3440.
    Beresford Bushmaster.
    Quad II monoblocks....Quad 44/405.....Croft Micro.....Cambridge Audio 840.
    Celestion Ditton 66.....KEF Reference One

I'm Grant.

Still on first track... is it stuck? seriously?
    lol

Yes, not my cuppa poison I'm afraid, but im a crusty old blues man.. sorry folks. maybe more a younger mans music.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Richie.

I only just got through it

I'm Richard.

I've been listening to this a fair bit now. The first track is just a wonderful homage to Kraftwerk's 'Robots' and some early Talking Heads which I think is a fantastic combination.

Someone Great has been sat in my brain as en earworm for the last few days. That's a standout track for me at the moment. Album purchased and is a welcome addition to my collection. I need to check out the other albums next.

A solid 9/10 from me. Best thing I've heard in a while.
    Rich

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by lovejoy View Post
    I've been listening to this a fair bit now. The first track is just a wonderful homage to Kraftwerk's 'Robots' and some early Talking Heads which I think is a fantastic combination.

Someone Great has been sat in my brain as en earworm for the last few days. That's a standout track for me at the moment. Album purchased and is a welcome addition to my collection. I need to check out the other albums next.

A solid 9/10 from me. Best thing I've heard in a while.
    If you like Soneone Great Rich try Faust IV by Faust... you may already know it (1974 I think)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Technics 1210/Mike New Bearing/Jelco SA750d/Goldring 2500/Paul Hynes SR5 21/27.
    Cambridge Audio 840c CD. Squeezebox Touch. Synology NAS.
    Teac A-3440.
    Beresford Bushmaster.
    Quad II monoblocks....Quad 44/405.....Croft Micro.....Cambridge Audio 840.
    Celestion Ditton 66.....KEF Reference One

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast