+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Best sounding Pi DAC solution

I'm Simon.

Default Best sounding Pi DAC solution

Hello Everyone.

I currently play all my FLAC files through my computer's headphone socket, to an Arcam Alpha 8 Pre / Power AMP and B&W 603 Speakers.

I am looking to get a dedicated Streamer / DAC, so I am not reliant on having my PC on to play music. Added to which, I would like to improve the sound
    that I am getting from the PC.

I have read a number of good reviews about the Raspberry PI as a streamer, adding a DAC board, to give an all in one solution.

However, I am somewhat baffled as to which DAC to go for.

My pre-requisites are :

1. I like the warm sound I get from my current setup and am not looking for a source that is going to be "bright sounding," although more detail would
    definitely be appreciated, along with good bass.

2. I need a DAC that has a case available.

I would appreciate any recommendations.

Thanks,

Simon

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Simonb007 View Post
    Hello Everyone.

I currently play all my FLAC files through my computer's headphone socket, to an Arcam Alpha 8 Pre / Power AMP and B&W 603 Speakers.

I am looking to get a dedicated Streamer / DAC, so I am not reliant on having my PC on to play music. Added to which, I would like to improve the sound
    that I am getting from the PC.

I have read a number of good reviews about the Raspberry PI as a streamer, adding a DAC board, to give an all in one solution.

However, I am somewhat baffled as to which DAC to go for.

My pre-requisites are :

1. I like the warm sound I get from my current setup and am not looking for a source that is going to be "bright sounding," although more detail would
    definitely be appreciated, along with good bass.

2. I need a DAC that has a case available.

I would appreciate any recommendations.

Thanks,

Simon
    The most relevant thing you have omitted is your budget.

I'm Simon.

My budget is around £300

I'm Alastair.

Default Try Caiman II SEG

I have a RPi3 with a HiFiBerry Digi+ board connected to a Beresford Caiman II DAC modded to be similar to the latest SEG version. The sound is superb - analogue sounding - and certainly not bright, especially if you power both RPi and DAC by battery (which I do). It is also well within your budget at £239.99. Give it a go. I have also tried the Audiophonics I-Sabre DAC ES9023 V2 TCXO which is an RPi add-on that works with RPi2A/B&3. It is much cheaper and surprisingly good, also not bright, but lacks the detail, weight and depth that the Caiman II digs-out.
    Last edited by Alp; 06-11-2016 at 11:34.
    Cheers

Alastair

RPI4/PI2AES running PiCorePlayer/LMS-> AQ Carbon AES -> Topping D90 DAC-> Khozomo Passive Pre-Amp -> 4x Temple Audio Monoblocks powered by 2xLiFePO batteries->Van Damme Black Bi-Wired to B&W 804 Nautilus and Sommer Carbokab 225 Interconnects

My budget is around £300
    At that kind of budget, the Caiman SEG is well worth trying out. Since you are in London, you might be close enough to pick one up from me. Money back guarantee as usual if not totally satisfied. PM me if interested.

I'm Luis.

Hello guys,

I am in the same situation.
    I would like to try the Pi3 with the best Dac possible but on the other hand I might be better with a regular usb dac.

I'm Simon.

Default Caiman SEG

I decided to take a chance and have purchased the Caiman SEG...

I wanted to be able to use the DAC with more than one device and not be tied purely to the PI.

I'm Luis.

I decided to take a chance and have purchased the Caiman SEG...

I wanted to be able to use the DAC with more than one device and not be tied purely to the PI.
    I also think that is probably a better option. Sound wise I have read that the Pi is a very good option but I also have read that it is not... It really depends on the linear power suplly some say.

Have you considered other dacs in that price range?

I'm Simon.

Quote Originally Posted by SantanaCorreia View Post
    I also think that is probably a better option. Sound wise I have read that the Pi is a very good option but I also have read that it is not... It really depends on the linear power suplly some say.

Have you considered other dacs in that price range?
    I didn't really look at similarly priced DACS... I started off looking at the PI based solutions, in order to keep the cost down and came on this forum for a suitable solution based on my setup.

I then decided it might be a better solution to get an external DAC and started to look at the options from the likes of Rega / Arcam / Audiolab, but they were a bit out of my price range.

Everyone seems to rave about the new Caiman, so I thought it was worth a go.

I can't say what is sounds like personally, as I am awaiting delivery.

+ Reply to Thread