+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY +/- 18V Power Supply

I'm stuart.

Default DIY +/- 18V Power Supply

I'm going to build a +-18V power supply for my Project Phono RS. It currently uses a Wallwart which supplies +18V, -18V and Gnd using a 3 pin mini din socket.

I've only ever built 5V supplies before (for my Logitech Touch and Rpi) so thought I'd ask here before rushing in like a bull in a china shop.

Ebay has plenty of ready made ac/dc converter boards, a couple of examples are here and here.

Are these any good or can someone point me to a UK or Euro supplier?

Is a 2x18V-45VA toroid the way to go? What about C Core or EI core?

Any input greatly appreciated.

danilo Guest

Don't be overlooking Batteries.
    Even a pair of 9 volt dry cells will surprise.
    Likely the draw on the phono stage is in the 60 mwatts range. Even alkaline Batteries would live long.
    Nicad batteries are V Good Power Supplies (arguably best possible).. testing better than Lab Grade Measuring devices can reliably read.
    Not overly easy to find these days tho... but they are out there.
    Output voltage of a transformer will be multiplied by 1.4 ~ by the diode /rectification stage...so 18 v is too much.. producing a 24v PS
    Toroids are a Fine choice in PS transformers.

I'm stuart.

Re 18v toroid. Does it really matter as it gets stepped down by the lm317 to 18V? Granted it'll create a small amount of heat on the regulator, is that a problem? Is there another reason why I should really use a lower toroid voltage of say 15V?

I'm Grant.

15v or 18 tx and as you say a lm317, 337 would give you enough current I'd think adjusted to 18v. the reg will take care of any over volts. its rated to 37v I think
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Duncan.

These are very good

http://www.amb.org/audio/sigma22/

Much better than the lm317 etc...

Happy days

RothwellAudio Guest

Quote Originally Posted by killie99 View Post

Ebay has plenty of ready made ac/dc converter boards, a couple of examples are here and here.

Are these any good or can someone point me to a UK or Euro supplier?

Is a 2x18V-45VA toroid the way to go? What about C Core or EI core?
    The first link is to quite a sophisticated board (apparantly) which uses various semiconductors and MOSFETs as pass transistors. The second one is a much simpler LM317 type circuit.
    The mains transformer doesn't have to be huge and I'm not a big believer in any benefits to an oversized transformer. In fact, they can cause more problems by radiating more of a magnetic field. 15VA should be as much as you need. I would choose a torroid for the low magnetic field. 2x18V would cause the regulators to get a bit warmer than 2x15V but would give the regulators a bit more headroom. Bear in mind that the voltage rating of a transformer is the voltage it should give when running flat out. When it's cruising it will have a higher voltage. 2x18V at 45VA will probably give you at least 10% higher voltage when running the Project. That's more heat dissipated in the regulators.

I'm stuart.

The Sigma22 board looks really good but $37 to ship the bare etch that costs $14 to the UK, blimey not cheap!

I'm Duncan.

Look at this on eBay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121720228275

HP-X amp Power supply kit base on A22 σ22 for B22 β22 (beta 22) 5-36V L158-2

I'm Jez.

A quick glance at a couple of photos of the board shows it to require AC power.... and, although I can't make out sufficient detail in the photos to be certain, it has what looks like separate regulated supplies for each channel already..... All assuming of course that we are talking about the exact same model:This is what I'm looking at... https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Pr...VCXw9zY7cxM%3A
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm stuart.

It's +-18V DC, description on the wallwart, in the manual and the Power Box RS Phono manual

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast