+ Reply to Thread

Thread: American comics

I'm joe.

Default American comics

DC, Marvel and such.

I used to read these a lot when I were a lad, but could never remember at what sort of age. It was obviously after I grew out of reading the Dandy, Beano and such, and before I started reading the NME (it would have been either/or, rather than as well as, given the limited amount of pocket money I had). Anyway, I was idly searching on the internet for clues, and I came across a description of a story-line I recognised. The magazine in question was published in 1961, which seems a bit early (I would only have been seven), but the comics might have taken a while to filter through to the UK, so maybe I was eight.

One thing I remember was that they had an advert in the back urging their young readers to 'Sell Grit!', which always baffled me. There used to be offers for ludicrous numbers of toy soldiers for some pathetically small amount of money which tempted me, but you had to pay by International Money Order, and i had no idea what one of those was, or how to get hold of one.

I'm Grant.

Grit was a weekly paper
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I became addicted to those around the age of 10. My favourites were the DC comics: Superman, Batman, The Flash, Green Lantern, and later Metal Men. One of my favourites was Green Lantern.

The only Marvel comics I liked was the Fantastic Four.

Must have bought dozens and dozens of them. All were later thrown out or given away. Had I known how much they would fetch these days (especially in good condition, which mine were) I would be rich!
    Barry

I'm bob.

My regular reading went like this:-

THE BEANO
    2000 AD
    MAD
    VIZ

Now I just read extreme left wing propaganda.

(I had a huge stash of those tiny old Commando war comics as well. I think my folks chucked them all out along with the Beanos and the rest in about 1989, to my enduring regret. HANDE HOCHE!! GOTT IN HIMELL!)

I'm Neil.

Still have all mine, some of which do have value.

I was more a Marvel reader, than DC. X Men, Avengers, EPIC, Conan, InHumans and the like. DC I liked Green Arrow, Justice League, later darker Batman.

Don't do comics anymore, simply because I find reading that style not natural anymore. In saying that I do still sometimes if my curiosity is peeked try the odd thing.
    Regards Neil

I'm Martin.

I had loads of the Commando comic books. And all the early 200AD. No idea what happened to them. Never got into the yank stuff, although my father would buy them for me occasionally as I think he was quite into them as a kid, having grown up in that part of the world.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Matt.

New 'Doom Patrol' (2016) started great, give it a try. Locke & Key is great for mystery lovers.

+ Reply to Thread