+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2a3 valve strange behaviour?

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    If a matched quad was originally supplied then there may be data as to the matching on the boxes of the valves or in any paperwork received.. probably a figure in mA. This could be what is being asked for. If not then I haven't a clue...
    many thanks!
    John Wood 6L6 Valve Amp, with:

6L6GC Russian Original (no logo) Output Tubes 4x, supplied by J.Wood.
    ECC81 Mullard NOS Input Tubes 2x
    12AU7 (ECC82) Brimar NOS Input Tubes 2x

Wilson Benesch Actor Loudspeakers.

REL Stampede Subwoofer.

Cary Audio 100t Dac.
    M2Tech Hi-Face 2 RCA USB to S/PDIF (co-axial) converter.

HP Pavilion G6 - 2382sa D0Y14EA#ABU + "The Teddy" 19/3 - 19V 3.5A LPSU.

The Missing Link Ultra-Pure System ~ EPS-100 ~Audiophile Silver Un-switched Double Wall Socket +
    APC ‘SurgeArrest’ Surge protector - PM1W-UK (Schneider), + AG500P Power Inspired mains – ‘pure sine wave’ re-generator.

Sennheiser HD 558 headset.

I'm paul.

If a matched quad was originally supplied then there may be data as to the matching on the boxes of the valves or in any paperwork received.. probably a figure in mA. This could be what is being asked for. If not then I haven't a clue...
    yes, arkless! ~ that was indeed what they wanted - many thanks!

AND:

when it goes bad (the valve) does it stay bad 'thereafter'? - you see mine has been fine since that one time a few days ago when it went 'bright'!

REL Stampede Subwoofer.

Cary Audio 100t Dac.

The Missing Link Ultra-Pure System ~ EPS-100 ~Audiophile Silver Un-switched Double Wall Socket +
    APC ‘SurgeArrest’ Surge protector - PM1W-UK (Schneider), + AG500P Power Inspired mains – ‘pure sine wave’ re-generator.

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by the_doc735 View Post
    yes, arkless! ~ that was indeed what they wanted - many thanks!

AND:

when it goes bad (the valve) does it stay bad 'thereafter'? - you see mine has been fine since that one time a few days ago when it went 'bright'!
    There are rare cases where it is fine ever after, usually if some foreign matter had been vaporised, causing the flash and curing the problem. This is very rare though and it would be more normal for the same to happen again before long, possibly with worse consequences, but certainly no threat to speakers.
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm paul.

There are rare cases where it is fine ever after, usually if some foreign matter had been vaporised, causing the flash and curing the problem. This is very rare though and it would be more normal for the same to happen again before long, possibly with worse consequences, but certainly no threat to speakers.
    Many thanks!

PS: new one is in the post anyway!

REL Stampede Subwoofer.

Cary Audio 100t Dac.

I'm paul.

A second valve has gone bright. This may have damaged my amplifier as the input and output transformers became extremely hot and I could smell burning, and were too hot to touch for over an hour!!

The valve supplier are sending a second replacement valve, but could this be the amp and not the valves?

Last edited by the_doc735; 29-10-2016 at 08:22.

REL Stampede Subwoofer.

Cary Audio 100t Dac.

I would now get it looked at by someone with the appropriate knowledge, skills and equipment. Sadly I suspect you might have some damage already but perhaps easily fixed. I wouldn't stick in any replacement valve until its checked out.
    Paul.

I'm Neil.

If the amp was bought from new, do not accept a repair. You are by law entitled to a brand new replacement amp. I would personally have said don't use the amp until the new valve arrived. Was this brightly glowing valve on the same channel as the first failure.

Frankly if a valve misbehaves my view is replace and bin, unless you want to keep duds as part of a shelf display of valves.

Hope you get your issues sorted.
    Regards Neil

I'm inthescottishmafia.

The dodgy valve may have caused some damage in the amp or vice versa. I would not use the amp again until it has been looked at by a professional.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by flapland View Post
    I would now get it looked at by someone with the appropriate knowledge, skills and equipment. Sadly I suspect you might have some damage already but perhaps easily fixed. I wouldn't stick in any replacement valve until its checked out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    If the amp was bought from new, do not accept a repair. You are by law entitled to a brand new replacement amp. I would personally have said don't use the amp until the new valve arrived. Was this brightly glowing valve on the same channel as the first failure.

Frankly if a valve misbehaves my view is replace and bin, unless you want to keep duds as part of a shelf display of valves.

Hope you get your issues sorted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    The dodgy valve may have caused some damage in the amp or vice versa. I would not use the amp again until it has been looked at by a professional.
    Yes I think you are right; I need to get an expert opinion FAST!
    No, this was manufacturer refurbished a short while ago (not brand new - like new). Yes both dodgy valves on the left side of the amp and the left tranny red hot too!

Which went first? The valve or the tranny? The valve went bright first and then the tranny got hot!

Now the supplier is getting 'funny'!!! ~ They are saying I must return the 2 valves FIRST before they will send out replacement valves. They have said despite ebay rules I MUST pay for the return postage (not them!) AND if they decide that the amp has damaged their valves, I would have to buy 2 more valves from scratch!! Thing is, it was working fine before I put these valves in the amp (i.e. no faults/lovely). And because I have already started a return procedure for the first one, there appears to be no way of cancelling the whole deal and no way of contacting ebay and their system won't let me escalate the 'return' to a 'cancellation' either! Now I don't know what to do? Whether to take it to the local shop (as is) and explain the whole scenario from the beginning, OR remove the dodgy valves and take it to the shop with the original valves back in? This is now a legal battle as well as a technical one! What a nightmare!

REL Stampede Subwoofer.

Cary Audio 100t Dac.

I'm Jez.

Probably dodgy valves, simple as that. I've seen this loads of times..... Unfortunately there are valves out there that simply aren't fit for purpose. It's not as bad as it once was.... but still not as rare as one would like!

A recent example, which I actually expected from knowing how dodgy the brand of valve was, is in my own Leak Stereo 20. I was made an offer I couldn't refuse for the Mullard GZ34 and had three Edicron ones brand new in their boxes. Each lasted about 2 days before a bright flash and the HT fuse blowing. Like I said, from experience I was pretty much expecting this to happen. I'll eventually get round to fitting SS rectifiers and that will be that sorted

I hope it hasn't damaged your OPT! Ideally fuse should have gone first of course...
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast