+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2a3 valve strange behaviour?

I'm paul.

Question 2a3 valve strange behaviour?

hi,

one of my 2A3C valves is displaying strange behaviour:

last night I was sat quiet with the amp switched on. All of a sudden, a 2A3 valve went really bright, there was a slight 'pop' from the left speaker and a sound vibration from the amp like a quiet hum.

I switched it off and left it until today, this afternoon it was fine again!

Anyone actually know what this means/indicates please?

cheers!
    John Wood 6L6 Valve Amp, with:

6L6GC Russian Original (no logo) Output Tubes 4x, supplied by J.Wood.
    ECC81 Mullard NOS Input Tubes 2x
    12AU7 (ECC82) Brimar NOS Input Tubes 2x

Wilson Benesch Actor Loudspeakers.

REL Stampede Subwoofer.

Cary Audio 100t Dac.
    M2Tech Hi-Face 2 RCA USB to S/PDIF (co-axial) converter.

HP Pavilion G6 - 2382sa D0Y14EA#ABU + "The Teddy" 19/3 - 19V 3.5A LPSU.

The Missing Link Ultra-Pure System ~ EPS-100 ~Audiophile Silver Un-switched Double Wall Socket +
    APC ‘SurgeArrest’ Surge protector - PM1W-UK (Schneider), + AG500P Power Inspired mains – ‘pure sine wave’ re-generator.

Sennheiser HD 558 headset.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

It has become 'self aware'.
    Barry

I'm paul.

Oh!

the amp has recently been serviced and the 2A3 valves are only a week old!

REL Stampede Subwoofer.

Cary Audio 100t Dac.

The Missing Link Ultra-Pure System ~ EPS-100 ~Audiophile Silver Un-switched Double Wall Socket +
    APC ‘SurgeArrest’ Surge protector - PM1W-UK (Schneider), + AG500P Power Inspired mains – ‘pure sine wave’ re-generator.

I'm Geoff.

One 2A3C is a dud? I'd not use the amp again without it being checked. Serious damage may be a possiblity. Even the speakers could be at risk.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Jez.

Speakers will be fine. Almost certainly a dodgy valve. Brand new is when they are most likely to fail!
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    One 2A3C is a dud? I'd not use the amp again without it being checked. Serious damage may be a possiblity. Even the speakers could be at risk.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    Speakers will be fine. Almost certainly a dodgy valve. Brand new is when they are most likely to fail!
    Thanks guys, the Hong Kong supplier has offered to swap/replace the faulty valve! Trouble is at the moment, it's OK again! Very strange. Supply could say: "it's fine".

REL Stampede Subwoofer.

Cary Audio 100t Dac.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by the_doc735 View Post
    Thanks guys, the Hong Kong supplier has offered to swap/replace the faulty valve! Trouble is at the moment, it's OK again! Very strange. Supply could say: "it's fine".
    Thing is you need matched pairs or quads depending on what amp it is. If its a valve per channel then they do need to be matched as a pair, if two per channel then a matched quad.

If a valve glows very brightly then its self destructing and about to fail. Thing is, is it the valve or something wrong in the amp.
    Regards Neil

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    Thing is you need matched pairs or quads depending on what amp it is. If its a valve per channel then they do need to be matched as a pair, if two per channel then a matched quad.

If a valve glows very brightly then its self destructing and about to fail. Thing is, is it the valve or something wrong in the amp.
    Yes, it should be quads but they are only willing to send one!
    It did glow bright, but the next day and today it has been fine so far?
    The amp has only just been serviced by the actual manufacturer (i.e. puresound).

cheers - many thanks!

REL Stampede Subwoofer.

Cary Audio 100t Dac.

I'm paul.

supplier has just asked me: "what datas I need" - what do they mean please?

REL Stampede Subwoofer.

Cary Audio 100t Dac.

I'm Jez.

If a matched quad was originally supplied then there may be data as to the matching on the boxes of the valves or in any paperwork received.. probably a figure in mA. This could be what is being asked for. If not then I haven't a clue...
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast