+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Salutations from W. MI

I'm Bret.

Default Salutations from W. MI

Hello everyone and greetings from West Michigan where our fall colors are coming in nicely along with the premonition of winter right around the corner.

My story:

Earlier this year I happened to be in Lake Orion MI for work and stayed over the weekend for a concert. I am a huge craft beer fan so wandered into town to 51 North Brewing Company (amazing mead as well as beer). After a couple pints I wandered across the street to Broadway Records and fell in love. I spent the next couple hours shopping for records and chatting with the owner about his amazing collection. I accumulated a stack of about 30 records of which the owner took a look at and said "Let's call it 16 bucks"; I threw him a 20 and gleefully left his shop.

Back at my hotel I beamed at my eclectic compilation ranging from Berlin (new in plastic still), John Denver, Dan Fogelberg, REO Speedwagon, Bach & Mozart, Amadeus 4 disc lp (really love this a lot).

I quickly became sad though because I didn't actually own a turntable!

I resolved to correct that but I wanted to avoid the Amazon turntable deal of the day and go with a player with more character and so started digging through Craigslist (which I despise using).

It took me a few months of filtering through the usual Craigslist scams and bait and switches but fell in love with a vintage Voice of Music 563 with the "optional" stereo speaker addition for $50. . . . . . and it worked!

I have since added to my collection with The Kills, Cate le' bon, Lana Del Rey. My musical tastes really range far and wide though with roots in industrial; Ministry is still one of my all time favorite bands.

Why the hi-fi system?

I admit I love everything about my new turntable & records. I love the look of my player, I love the tactile feel of the records in my hand, I love having to "attend" to the player adjusting the base and treble a little for each lp and flipping the disc. I also love the softer, "less clean", sound of the music including the little pops when the needle strikes a bit of dust I missed or the squeak of a slightly warped record shifting.

For me it is not just the music, it's the experience.

I'm Brian.

Welcome Bret . Like you I just got back into vinyl a few months ago when a friend gave me an old Goldring Lenco GL75 . I spent a little money buying some new parts and with the help of some of the guys on this forum it's now singing along . I must admit to building up a nice little collection and as it's pay day soon I will be in Glasgow on Friday looking to add to my collection .
    Last edited by brian2957; 24-10-2016 at 20:31.
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm James.

Welcome to AOS Bret and thank you for sharing your vinyl experience. I identify with much of what you have said regarding the pleasure of owning and using vinyl. It is a truly magical medium for playing music and seems to capture the soul of a performer as well as a realistic representation of instruments.

Not sure I know the equipment you have chosen but certainly know some of the artists you have written of.

Hope you enjoy the forum.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Alan.

Hi Bret, a big welcome from me. Is this the unit:

You are starting in the right place, it has glowing tubes in it, lots on here like tubes
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

I'm Geoff.

Hello Bret. Welcome to AOS.

I hope you enjoy your new record playing experience.

If you use any other audio equipment we'd like to hear about it.

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Bret.

Firebottle, that's the one! She is a beauty! The only difference is I have the additional matching stereo speaker.

Here is my unit:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4n436j3yev...OM563.jpg?dl=0

Image insert *FAIL*, dropbox link was the best I could do.

Geoff,

I am afraid I am not much of an audiophile! I did start with a $10 turntable from a local electronic recycling store. I'm not even sure what it is!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/25idgcaicz...chine.jpg?dl=0

I suppose I do have a kind of a cool Neo Car Jukebox. I purchased it new from Best Buy for my 91 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4 of which I still drive and have been for 22 years now.

Regards!

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by VOM View Post
    I am afraid I am not much of an audiophile!
    There's hope yet. Maybe we can convert you Bret . There's nothing like some good sounds.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Welcome to AoS Bret,

No need to be an "audiophile" here - simply a music lover will do.

Enjoy the Forum
    Barry
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread