+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I am tempted to try building a pair of these.....

I'm Kevin.

Default I am tempted to try building a pair of these.....

http://kjfaudio.co.uk/product/frugel...speaker-driver

I quite like my Electric Beach FH3s. I know that I won't match the finish of them, but a bigger Frugel Horn is quite appealing and won't cost that much in total for a basic finish.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Nodrog.

You could get half a pair of Quads for not much more than that

I'm Deleted.

Cagey, I've heard those a couple of times and I (and friends who also heard them) was really impressed.
    Account Deleted

I'm Kevin.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Steadman View Post
    You could get half a pair of Quads for not much more than that
    Quads can need expensive servicing.
    Kevin

danilo Guest

Have a pair. They work decently well truth be told. Hardly 250 GBP's worth though.
    They are Ugly things and Must be well out (1 Meter min) from a wall.
    Wimmin can have serious problems with that combo... as a small heads up.
    Sounds? Decent 80 Hz..maybe? bass from a 3" (claimed as 4" driver in a 1/4 wave box (it is NOT a horn, all brochure babbles aside)
    I've taken the Mark audio drivers out and stuffed them into a nice/compact reasonably attractive, Thrift store bought pair of Sony speaker/boxes.. 4$.
    Sounds? Some loss in bass depth Otherwise sound is Identical to the F h's to my ears.
    It's More the Mark Audio drivers than all else that makes the pleasing sounds.
    No further complaints from the Roomate.. Priceless that.

I'm Kevin.

The FH3 uses the 4" driver.
    The FHXL is a little bigger.
    Kevin

I'm Ray.

CageyH,

I have a pair of the 10.2 Metal drivers in a set of boxes that I built for the boat. These speakers never fail to amaze me and I m using them in the house at present. The boxes I built for them are very limited in size, only about 60cm H X 12cm D X 30cm W. It is a reverse folded horn stuffed with wool. While they do not go that low in these boxes they are certainty not lacking in bass but the clarity and airiness and open midrange are amazing.
    I have used various single drivers for many years now and Markaudio drivers are my favourites. I have a few other sets of these drivers to build boxes for over the winter: 1 a pair of the 7 Metal and the second a pair of 10 paper drivers. I was thinking of Frugal horns for the 7M and maybe Pensils for the 10P as I think the larger Frugal Horn may be difficult for me to accommodate space-wise with the rear firing horn. I have ran both the P10 and the M7 drivers screwed into an old bit of plywood and even then they are stunning. The paper drivers have a completely different character to the metal drivers and only time and boxes will tell which I have preference for.
    Of course the Firebottle Air and the Markaudio drivers are a match made in heaven.
    Last edited by Ray; 28-10-2016 at 10:17.
    Ray

I'm Nodrog.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    Quads can need expensive servicing.
    My pair still sounded better than anything else I've heard before they got their rebuild. That was thirteen years ago and they are still fine (OneThing took half cash and half old hi-fi!!) and I expect them to see me out. My pair were made in the mid 60's so around 50 years old. If they aren't damaged by overdriving they keep working for ever it seems, but if you have a Firebottle and his magic soldering iron to hand (just one resistor as I remember) even problems can be fixed! Sadly, that option is no longer available to us out here.

I'm Ray.

Gordon,
    I have never heard a pair of ESL's but I know I would probably fall in love!
    I will most likely take the dive into the enchanted ESL world you speak at some stage before being shoved into my box.
    I think with the NON ESL people it is more trepidation and fear of the unknown!
    Last edited by Ray; 28-10-2016 at 20:29.
    Ray

+ Reply to Thread