+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Golden Gate Lampizator

I'm Scott.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    Maybe you just didn't like the KR RK 300B, then. Those (Ked's) EML Ltd Ed. 45s sound good my B7, but I didn't like the EML solid plate 45 much at all.

I suspect a GG2 will out perform a Pacific if you don't like the valves in the Pacific, or vice versa.

Which is your fave valve, Scott?
    Well I’ve tried Gold Lion 300B they were ok but the one tube failed after only 100hrs
    Then I was using Nos 45’s which seemed very musical. Then I bought 242’s and they just blew me away. Now I’m ready for a change and my new PX4’s are just burning in. First impressions are very positive. How about you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm Ked.

Quote Originally Posted by vegman1973 View Post
    Well I’ve tried Gold Lion 300B they were ok but the one tube failed after only 100hrs
    Then I was using Nos 45’s which seemed very musical. Then I bought 242’s and they just blew me away. Now I’m ready for a change and my new PX4’s are just burning in. First impressions are very positive. How about you?

If the 242s worked in your system no other tube will sound close. 242s sometime distort due to high gain and impedance mismatch with pre, but if they work, they will kill everything else.

Btw, 300bs are all different, and I have already tried the special 300bs from the Pacific.

As for PX4, the PX25 and the special 45s are both better than the PX4s - but usually both may not work in a particular system, one or the other will. This is due to the fact that each Lampi and system have different gains, and there is some impedance matching with the pre.

I'm Ked.

Scott, are you Bill's friend Scott? Why don't you try his recti, it will outperform your NOS'

I'm Scott.

Quote Originally Posted by bonzo View Post
    Scott, are you Bill's friend Scott? Why don't you try his recti, it will outperform your NOS'
    Yes I’m Bill’s mate. I enjoy experimenting with different Rectifiers. I suppose I’ll get the KR 5u4g eventually. As for tubes I’m enjoying the burn in of the PX4 after 242
    We all have our own preferences

I'm Geoff.

Why would various rectifier valves 'sound different'? Surely there's only one type of DC?
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Scott.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Why would various rectifier valves 'sound different'? Surely there's only one type of DC?
    It’s all to do with voltage and type of Rectifier. I sold my EML 5u4g as I found it far too laid back for my taste.

I'm Geoff.

I've not experimented with rectifier valves, but as long as the current demands of the amplifier are met and the DC quality is good, would there be an influence on the sound? I find it hard to grasp how, as it's not part of the signal handling.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Scott.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I've not experimented with rectifier valves, but as long as the current demands of the amplifier are met and the DC quality is good, would there be an influence on the sound? I find it hard to grasp how, as it's not part of the signal handling.
    I’m only going on my own experience. But to my ears there’s definitely a difference. And because the Lampizator is very flexible when it comes to Rectifiers + DHT there’s a lot of playing to be had

I'm Scott.

I’m only going on my own experience. But to my ears there’s definitely a difference. And because the Lampizator is very flexible when it comes to Rectifiers + DHT there’s a lot of playing to be had

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/dubs...thread.694525/

Have a read at this

I'm Geoff.

I’m only going on my own experience. But to my ears there’s definitely a difference
    I don't doubt differences can be heard. But I'd love to know why. I'd also like to know if a good sold state rectifier is as audibly acceptable, as they do feature in some good amplifiers.

There's not much chance of Lampizator equipment coming my way these days. Retirement means funds need to be kept well in check!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast