+ Reply to Thread

Thread: TDL Studio 4 advice needed

I'm gary.

Default TDL Studio 4 advice needed

A friend has a pair of these and is considering selling them. Went round yesterday and they are big buggers and seriously deep good bass. He has PMC 22;s too and to my ears these sounded better, definitely more grunt and i thought a deeper soundstage.
    I may end up selling them for him but have no idea of their value, so hoping some of you more knowledgeable folks might give me some idea ? Are they part of the Ref line ? I know they pre date the rubbish TDL started putting out in the 80's thru Richer sounds.
    gweat, weally gweat

I'm Martin.

The IMF website answers some of your questions. http://www.imf-electronics.com/Home/tdl/studio-4

They are part of the Studio range, not the reference range. They do pre-date the Richer Sounds stuff by quite a way.

Value-wise I'd hazard a guess at around the £500 mark, give or take a ton. I'd expect them to outperform new speakers up to at least 2 grand, but big, old floorstanders don't tend to sell for much, with the odd exception (Ditton 66 for example). A lot of speaker for the money for someone who has the space to make them work.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Shaun.

I remember hearing TDL Studio One's back around 1988 and I thought that they were staggering. I always wanted a pair but when they eventually became available to me I had moved on to other things. Sad really, seriously fine loudspeakers.

I'm gary.

Many thanks for your info and advice Martin, most helpful. Had a chance to listen to them some more and as Shaun stated, they are staggeringly good !!
    Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    The IMF website answers some of your questions. http://www.imf-electronics.com/Home/tdl/studio-4

They are part of the Studio range, not the reference range. They do pre-date the Richer Sounds stuff by quite a way.

Value-wise I'd hazard a guess at around the £500 mark, give or take a ton. I'd expect them to outperform new speakers up to at least 2 grand, but big, old floorstanders don't tend to sell for much, with the odd exception (Ditton 66 for example). A lot of speaker for the money for someone who has the space to make them work.
    gweat, weally gweat

+ Reply to Thread