+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A valve question please - 6072a to replace ecc83 as a cathode follower?

lordmortlock Guest

Default A valve question please - 6072a to replace ecc83 as a cathode follower?

I had a pair of sylvania triple mica 6072a that sounded superb in my jolida Dac but one has died, leaving me with a single. The vinyl one uses a single ecc83 as a cathode follower. Can I drop the 6072a in here? I know that they were suitable replacements in the jolida, albeit with lower gain. I am right to I assume I can use it in this application too?
    Last edited by lordmortlock; 23-10-2016 at 20:35.

I'm Jez.

It's not a million miles away from the ECC83 in characteristics and has the same pin-out. So yes you can use it but as I keep saying about "tube rolling" you can't expect a valve other than the one the circuit was designed for to work as well as the original.... or as well as the new valve should if the circuitry was redesigned to accommodate it! And that's if the pin-out is compatible (yes in this case).

Most of the time you will be hearing what it sounds like with the wrong voltages and wrong resistances.... and hence likely that THD has gone from say 0.1% with the correct valve to 5% cos the wrong one's now in!! It is infinitely more important that the correct type of valve is used than anything to do with what make it is or anything else!!

As it's a cathode follower in this case though you should pretty much get away with it...
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

lordmortlock Guest

Thanks Jez, that's helpful.

+ Reply to Thread