+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Spotify issue - crackling noise

I'm Gareth.

Default Spotify issue - crackling noise

iPad Pro casting Spotify Premium to a Chromecast Audio > Caiman SEG DAC

Currently experiencing an issue with Spotify this weekend. I get a brief burst of crackling noise/static at the start of every track, and I'm struggling to determine if this is a hardware or software issue.

* Have reset the Caiman SEG DAC
    * Have tried different sound signatures within the Caiman
    * Have tried both optical inputs
    * Have tried a different Chromecast Audio device

No difference and I cannot replicate the issue under this configuration: iPad Pro casting Spotify Premium to a Chromecast Audio > Audiolab M-DAC+

This would suggest a hardware issue with the Caiman. However if I then try: iPad Pro casting Tidal HiFi to a Chromecast Audio > Caiman SEG DAC, I have no such problems.

Pretty confused right now and it's making Spotify unlistenable. Any help or guidance appreciated.

EDIT: All working OK now and I have no idea why it's changed
    Last edited by Getgaff; 25-10-2016 at 17:31.

I'm Gareth.

Well I'm not entirely convinced, but it does appear to be an issue with Spotify. I'd thought the problem had gone, I now think I was simply masking it.

Still getting clicks, etc. as Spotify moves from one track to another but if I pause a track and skip to the next one all is fine.

Wonder if this has anything to do with the recent DoS attack last week, or just coincidence?

I'm James.

I use the Bearsford DAC and I have the exact same problem. If I have the volume low I can hear a very high pitched whine as well which drives me nuts. In my case it's not just isolated to Spotify, it is the same if I use ripped CDs through iTunes on my MacBook Pro. This points to a problem with the DAC I think . Very frustrating.
    Source: Heavily modified DDDAC using MacBook Pro.
    Amplification: Pre amp-Stereo Coffee pre amp on steroids.
    Power amp- Rather large Colin Wonfor Class A power Amp
    Speakers: Lampizator P17 Open Baffles
    Accessories: Klotz 500 DIY Interconnects & DIY speaker cable sounding better than anything commercial.
    All powered from a Mother Trucker BPS with a dedicated consumer unit with 10mm armoured radial back to the house tails after the meter.

I'm James.

Hi Gareth

Interestingly I just put my daughters super cheap Sony DVD player in my system inplace of my MacBook Pro streaming Spotify and I have no high pitch squeaks or pops at all, it's quite a relief. Howev with the DVD player I'm using optical into the Bearsford.
    I don't know what to make of all this
    Source: Heavily modified DDDAC using MacBook Pro.
    Amplification: Pre amp-Stereo Coffee pre amp on steroids.
    Power amp- Rather large Colin Wonfor Class A power Amp
    Speakers: Lampizator P17 Open Baffles
    Accessories: Klotz 500 DIY Interconnects & DIY speaker cable sounding better than anything commercial.
    All powered from a Mother Trucker BPS with a dedicated consumer unit with 10mm armoured radial back to the house tails after the meter.

I'm Gareth.

So I've just swapped over the Chromecast Audio for a Squeezebox Touch and cannot replicate the pops/crackling/static issues I spoke about earlier. So definitely not the DAC at this point I'm pleased to say.

Is it possible the CA is doing something the Caiman doesn't like? Have factory reset the CA to see if that improves things. Will report back.

I'm Gareth.

A factory reset did flip-all and I've returned to streaming Spotify via my SBT.

I see new firmware is imminent for the CA, version 1.21.72444. Whether this'll fix things...?

+ Reply to Thread