+ Reply to Thread

Thread: benefit of upgrading my old cd-player

I'm Johan.

Default benefit of upgrading my old cd-player

Hello everyone,

I just got my turntable in working order and now I get new questions about digital music... I'm still not sure what format (vinyl / cd / streaming) I prefer but I think I prefer both the turntable and cd player to a computerized audio system like the hifi-berry which I also own. (but still don't use...) I like the instantness of the turntable and cd-player together with the lack of peripherals.

I am wondering if it would have any benefit to invest in a good cd player? At he moment I (rarely) use a Denon DCD-F100 cd-player and I'm curious if there will be a clear audible difference between this old cd player and a newer / more expensive one. Would it make sense to update this device or is quality of all recent - not too inexpensive - cd players, DACs and soundcards about the same?

For instance, I compared my friends 400 euro iFi DAC to a cheap onboard sound card (probably < 10 euro) and we were not able to hear any difference between his iFi and onboard laptop soundcard on his audio system. (he has 1000 euro B&W loudspeakers). When we tested his iFi on my electrostatic loudspeakers we did hear a (small) difference in favour of the iFi, the male voices in the music sounded a bit warmer, more pleasant. So this test made me sceptical about expensive digital audio hardware.

I'm Josie.

Yes, there will be differences for the better I'd say but it depends on how much you would like to spend. Remember the DAC's in CD players are only one part. The PSU is the other main aspect IMO. Of course the transport also makes a huge difference but I think these days a lot of manufacturers are using cheap (yet optimised) cdr units unless you go with Esoteric for example but they are bonkers money.

Some high-end vintage players are good though but you must get one with a couple of spare lasers if they are not too expensive.

I'm really not up on cd players these days having gone streaming but I know what you mean, it's sometimes nice to play a cd.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

I'm Martin.

Some expensive CD players don't offer that much for the money IME. Other than a handful of models, the differences tend to be in presentation rather than quality. A mid-range player with presentation to your taste is 90% as good as it gets. The really good top end players with the extra 10% all seem to have kept their value so far. And of course if you buy one it could end up as broken and un-repairable.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Nodrog.

If you enjoy music on the existing CD player, why change it? How does it compare with the record player?

I have just about all my music on three formats! Mac, CD and records. The Mac is used for casual listening as even lossless doesn't sound quite right to me. The quality of a good CD player is great. I swap between my Pioneer stable platter machine and an old Philips CD104 (I'm not surprised that Karajan was impressed, before they started price engineering the players downwards, this thing sounds terrific) Sometimes, the actual sound is hard to tell from the TT. But......if it comes to a choice, I find the TT 'easier' to listen to for long periods. Small difference but naturalness and the height and depth info seems more realistic to me.

As far as TT quality is concerned, I find there is much more difference in actual sound quality - rather than mechanical noise etc - between phono stages than between decent players.

If you can relax and enjoy the music why start spending out on the inevitable upgrade path. I know it's part of the hobby and all that but the returns are so slim, I really wonder if it was all worth it. I've given that stuff up!
    Last edited by Gordon Steadman; 23-10-2016 at 18:25.

danilo Guest

+1 I too have a Pi and audiophonics/sabre gizmo that I haven't even unboxed
    In early 90's I finally had enough of my stupid Sony ess CDP and bought a Cheap DVD player which proved an epiphany in CD playback quality.
    Modded the hell out of it over the years, with audible benefit.. usually :-)
    Only stopping when the PCB tracks were starting to unglue. 10+ years later the thing started to have transport issues I shelved it, planning a repair, when I get'round to it.
    I have a NIB spare identical model DVD unit (foresight)
    Tripped over an almost free used NAD 525BEE. Surprisingly it works pleasingly well .. and continues to do so.
    I won't be pulling it until it fails.
    There is IMO Serious advantage to keeping below this months' 'State of the art' gear .
    With less than Bleeding Edge Gear..one listens to the music.. more than to the sounds.

G'luck

I'm Michael.

I have 2 CD players a Denon AE520 and a Nad C541i both sound lovely to my ears

+ Reply to Thread