+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to stop upgrading...

I'm Justin.

Default How to stop upgrading...

Well?

Not sure how much time I can devote posting to this thread, but I have some ideas so I will come back.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Simple - just be content with your system as it is.
    Barry

I'm Steve.

Putting laxative in your boss's coffee then owning up to it will probably put any upgrade plans on hold.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Geoff.

I have downgraded/downsized. Mainly due to space constraints and adopting realistic spending habits. (this may change in the future though )
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Martin.

I'm just side-grading these days. To upgrade I need better room or better speakers. Neither going to happen anytime soon.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

"Side-grading", that's a new one on me. A change of gear without any change in sound quality. What is the reason, apart from cosmetic?
    Barry

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    "Side-grading", that's a new one on me. A change of gear without any change in sound quality. What is the reason, apart from cosmetic?
    Cosmetic mainly. Plus I just like buying equipment.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Lawrence.

An upgrade can be cosmetic.

To be a sidegrade when something looks much better it would have to sound worse. Otherwise you've definitely upgraded !

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    An upgrade can be cosmetic.

To be a sidegrade when something looks much better it would have to sound worse. Otherwise you've definitely upgraded !
    So changing an item having, say, a silver finish to an identical item but finished in black, is an upgrade?

I have heard of an audio reviewer who found an item of audio equipment sounded better when used upside down! Initially ridiculed, it was later discovered why it was true: the base was made of steel, whereas the rest of the case was made from aluminium. Steel offered better hum and RF rejection. An upgrade at no cost at all, save for 'odd' looking cosmetics.
    Barry

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    No, I think 'side grading' can bring about improvements in SQ, by trying out components that better match with your existing kit and room, and aren't necessarily more expensive.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast