+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Audio with Raspberry Pi

I'm Chris.

Here is my take on the subject.

1. The RPi is a fabulous bit of kit and recent debate has claimed that changing to another brand of similar sort will have insignificant SQ benefit. (This is a consensus view from this forum)

2. Software packages such as 'Moode' are really about the ability and ease with which you can access your music. Changing to another package will not bring significant SQ benefit and changing to improved versions as they are issued will not bring significant SQ benefits. (This is a consensus view from this forum)

3. As always, power supplies are important. Dump the switching power supply that comes with the RPI and switch to a good linear power supply. Do not allow the RPI to power any other bits of kit through its USB interfaces this is bad. Its not unusual to spend over £200 for a good linear power supply

4. Concentrating now on the USB output for you music - the sky is the limit. Keep spending till you hear no SQ improvements. There are amplifiers that plug straight in the USB, or DACs that plug straight in the USB, or in my opinion best of all, USB to SPDIF converters that plug in the USB and send an SPDIFF signal to a separate DAC. You can spend thousands here and continue to hear improvements in SQ. Also you can spend hundreds on the USB digital cable and continue to hear SQ improvements.

The reason I have quoted consensus views on points 1 and 2 is that I don't agree with the concensus.

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by bumpy View Post
    Here is my take on the subject.

The reason I have quoted consensus views on points 1 and 2 is that I don't agree with the concensus.
    It might be clearer if you state what you think, rather than what you think others think.

WRT #4: Surely the least compromised solution is I2S?

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Starterman View Post
    It might be clearer if you state what you think, rather than what you think others think.
    I was giving a consensus view to help the OP. I have no evidence to offer to the contrary but know that if something as innocent as a fuse or plug can make a difference, then I personally I cant believe that a computer or software can be free of any influence on SQ

Quote Originally Posted by Starterman View Post

WRT #4: Surely the least compromised solution is I2S?
    I am no expert but here is what one manufacturer of a USB DAC said:

"The issue is compatibility. There are many different I2S standards and not all DAC chips will be compatible with I2S." I am not clever enough to understand what that means, perhaps you can offer your side of it for balance.

I'm Dave.

I was giving a consensus view to help the OP. I have no evidence to offer to the contrary but know that if something as innocent as a fuse or plug can make a difference, then I personally I cant believe that a computer or software can be free of any influence on SQ

I am no expert but here is what one manufacturer of a USB DAC said:

"The issue is compatibility. There are many different I2S standards and not all DAC chips will be compatible with I2S." I am not clever enough to understand what that means, perhaps you can offer your side of it for balance.
    https://volumio.org/raspberry-pi-i2s...ounds-so-good/

I'm James.

Hi Geoff. In my experience, for absolute sound quality from a Pi, you need to be using buffering/isolation/re-clocking in between the Pi and your DAC. There are minor gains to be made from a better power supply for the Pi or by changing the software, but this is just tinkering at the edges compared to hardware options. The significant gains come from buffering and re-clocking the signal before it gets to your DAC. The clock(s) used downstream from the Pi also play a significant role in the final sound quality. Power supplies at every step of the process are also important - I was sceptical about this to start with but experience has proven me wrong.

My current system starts with a Pi that is powered by a low noise supply from DIYINHK. I use the I2S output to send the signal to an FPGA buffer, which in turn feeds an isolator board to stop noise from the Pi reaching the clock board. The isolator board feeds a dedicated clock board running a Pulsar clock. This board delivers the I2S signal to my DAC.

This DAC/streamer is my primary source and I've spent about three years getting it to this point. If you're looking for large gains in sound quality I'd recommend looking at buffering/clocking options. The Pi can be used as part as a top quality front end, but only if you see the Pi as a tool to deliver data to the next part of the buffer/clock chain.

I'm Chris.

Hi James

I have gone down a similar route buying a USB to SPDIF converter between RPI and DAC. If you did yours DIY then well done.
    Last edited by bumpy; 28-10-2016 at 22:57.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Brumjam View Post
    Hi Geoff. In my experience, for absolute sound quality from a Pi, you need to be using buffering/isolation/re-clocking in between the Pi and your DAC. There are minor gains to be made from a better power supply for the Pi or by changing the software, but this is just tinkering at the edges compared to hardware options. The significant gains come from buffering and re-clocking the signal before it gets to your DAC. The clock(s) used downstream from the Pi also play a significant role in the final sound quality. Power supplies at every step of the process are also important - I was sceptical about this to start with but experience has proven me wrong.

My current system starts with a Pi that is powered by a low noise supply from DIYINHK. I use the I2S output to send the signal to an FPGA buffer, which in turn feeds an isolator board to stop noise from the Pi reaching the clock board. The isolator board feeds a dedicated clock board running a Pulsar clock. This board delivers the I2S signal to my DAC.

This DAC/streamer is my primary source and I've spent about three years getting it to this point. If you're looking for large gains in sound quality I'd recommend looking at buffering/clocking options. The Pi can be used as part as a top quality front end, but only if you see the Pi as a tool to deliver data to the next part of the buffer/clock chain.
    James,

your explanations and argument seem convincing. I have tried battery power supplies which should be even better than linear power supplies and found the differences marginal. Are there any commercial products which emulate your DIY solutions?

Geoff

I'm Geoff.

Hi James

I have gone done a similar route buying a USB to SPDIF converter between RPI and DAC. If you did yours DIY then well done.
    Chris,

which product did you buy. I have a Digi+ which I am guessing is not quite as sophisticated as James DIY unit.

Geoff

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    James,

your explanations and argument seem convincing. I have tried battery power supplies which should be even better than linear power supplies and found the differences marginal. Are there any commercial products which emulate your DIY solutions?

Geoff
    The boards I use were purchased from a very clever chap over on DIYaudio. He has recently re-opened a group buy to allow people to buy his boards again:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/group...group-buy.html

There's no soldering involved. It's simply a case of providing power supplies and connecting the boards together using the supplied cables. I suspect the main challenge will be converting USB into I2S in advance of these boards, then getting your DAC to accept an I2S signal - my DAC is a DIY board which has I2S inputs.

Regarding the use of batteries; I use one in my system which provides 3.3v to the clock board. It's a pain having to change it every 12-15 hours.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    Chris,

which product did you buy. I have a Digi+ which I am guessing is not quite as sophisticated as James DIY unit.

Geoff
    I bought the USB to SPDIF from SW1X who has a section on AoS. He is more than happy to answer questions about his products.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast