+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Enigma turntable

I'm Steve.

You are right Neil, it is down to skill and tools . I can't cut or drill a straight whole or cut a straight line to save my life but thanks to a piller drill and a good sliding chop saw I can do it like a pro, and I am not worried about taking an angle grinder to the top plate although I cut wide then take my time to gently grind down to size, but as you say a fettled 401 with arm and plinth would be a better sound and cheaper . However a fully modded Lenco don with care will give a 301,401, and a 124 a very hard run for the money. Saying that. ....its all down to what your ears tell you, mine tell me a well modded Lenco is a very hard act to deal with.
    Regards steve

I'm Winston.

Default Is the Enigma an enigma???

Perhaps the Inspire folks are on to something. The one review I'd seen seemed quite encouraging to me - for a standard unit.

Doubtless, the likes of a Nantais modded Lenco would be very special and significantly better-performing than a standard unit. However, after deliberately researching users who've actually compared their ordinarily DIY modded Lencos to their standard versions, I've found that they almost invariably report that there's not much difference between modded and standard. Some even prefer their standard units over their own modded versions. (Based on what I've seen, I'd guess the vast majority of 'modded' Lencos are really operating at the standard level - though I'm sure there are outstanding exceptions).

Perhaps Inspire are just being honest in not claiming to have done any mods.

If the evidence shows that most popular mods below the level of the likes of a 'Nantais Reference' reaps little or no benefits over a standard unit, then why bother if the really beneficial levels of mods would push the price much higher?

I think it's a stark illustration of the outstanding quality of the Lenco that Inspire could put a standard unit into a pretty plinth and sell it for as much as they do -with several buyers who think it's worth it and better than what they had or otherwise aspired to. There's even more indication of the standard Lenco's quality that it competes with or approaches the performance of TTs which cost more than twice or thrice or quadruple what the Enigma costs.

But this is nothing new or exclusive to the Enigma. Let's not forget that the very early Lencos which defeated the likes of Ariadnes and TNTs and EMTs in the early days of the Home-Despot Revolution were all standard units in fancy plinths, more or less - just like the Enigma.

Do not underestimate a standard Lenco.

Food for thought?
    Main system: Lenco L75, Thorens TD-125, Technics SL1700, ReVox A77 two-track 15 ips, Sony PS-1, Dell laptop, mxr, eq, Audio-Research LS-3, UREI 6150, DIY two-way speakers with Altec 802/811 & Goodmans 18” midwoofers.
    Author of; “HIGH-END AUDIO on a BUDGET”

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12