+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Soldering and Testing - Essex ?

I'm richard.

Thank you so much John that is a really nice offer - just what forums are about in my view !

However it may not be the KI.... the thing is that i use a coax from the KI to an Audiolab MDAC and run that thru to a Cyrus PowerX - that shows the channel problem. I have since switched the MDAC output into my other amp a MF XA2 (for vinyl !) and i get the same problem. What I haven't done yet is plug phono's from the KI to the XA2 and bypass the MDAC to see if I have the same problem. If I do then its the KI at fault, if I don't then its the MDAC - which will be a shame as its out of warranty. Drat !

BTW I met Slawa of SW1X this morning at his place in Essex to handover my speakers which he's going to fix and maybe upgrade some bits. I got a demo of his 1st system comprising of digital 16bit front-end, own designed and built speakers with pre 60's paper drivers, no crossovers and that was driven by a 2watt valve amp also of his own design. This had his entry level DAC in it and it sounded fantastic to my ears - dynamic, fluid, detailed with a massive sound stage etc etc.

He has 3 demo rooms and if anyone wants a refreshing education in whats important in hifi designs then talk to Slawa. Seems to me that his DACS are something else.

I'm Slawa.

Thank you for your kind words. Your feedback is appreciated.

I hope that you enjoy the sound of your vintage Rogers speakers now and wondered if you tried to bypass (bridge) those fuses in the cross over, which in my book are unnecessary and detrimental to the sound.

S
    SW1X Audio DesignTM ... Finest Audio Components ... Designed and Handcrafted in England
    www.SW1XAD.co.uk

I'm richard.

Thanks Slawa; pleasure meeting you again !

I'm liking the concept of sourcing high efficiency older drivers to drive with valve based amp. I shall have a think about that how I can do that.

Anyhow i will bridge the JR149 fuses as you suggest. They are for the office so I'm never going to drive them hard. Also I'm swapping the cables - those ones must be 25+ years old. Suggestions ? After that I can give them a cosmetic restoration next. I'll send you a PM as there's something else I'd like to explore. Best regards, Richard

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12