+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: speaker toe in

I'm jamie.

Default speaker toe in

once again ive been playing around with my speakers!
    i now use them in the near-field listening position which despite being close to me is much better than firing down the long side of the room,they are studio monitors after all!

anyway this time ive been experimenting with toe in,this has opened my eyes (ears) to getting the placement right and what a difference getting it right can make.
    i first started with slight toe in a could hear a small improvement so i carried on going,i ended up with a strong image right in the center of the speakers which revealed so much more detail that was hiding when i had them sat with the back corners an equal distance from the back wall.
    the saying,'sounds like they were sat in front of me' springs to mind
    floyd's dark side of the moon just sounds full of stuff more prominent then before!!

as an example using Norah Jones brilliant first album,'come away with me' track 2, 'seven years' the fingers sliding on the guitar strings can clearly be heard much more and on track 7 'turn me on' the Hammond organ no longer appears distant in the background its now right up there and balanced with he silky smooth vocals.

this may may be all old hat to you more experienced guys but to me its a revelation!
    the speakers have ended up with the tweeters pointed right at my ears,coincidentally looking at the original brochure for my 66's, celestion state having them at a 45 degree angle!

here's a pic showing how they look,what are your thoughts gentlemen?
    can you have too much toe in? what if any is the trade off?

Last edited by karma67; 16-10-2016 at 11:06.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Grant.

Look fine at that distznce as long as the mids are not overpowering things, which can happen. But as u say they are , sort of, monitors so may well be fine. I find mine need to to out being full range
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Simon.

I did some experimenting a few months back with toe-in as I'd always previously had my speakers firing straight ahead. What I found was that everything became clearer and more precise and placement of sounds in the music was much easier to pick out. I found the sweet spot by toeing them in so that I could just about see the inside edge of the cabinet from the listening position. Then slowly toed them outwards until the vocal in the centre starts to fade and not be so strong, then toe them slightly back in again so that the vocal is dead centre. What I've ended up with is superb and the vocals are always pinned to the centre, so much so that it sounds like it's coming from my surround centre channel! BTW, I'm also using monitors (well, mini ones - P3ESR's)

I'm James.

I don't think there's any right or wrong with regards placement of speakers,ive learnt from people on here that much depends on your room. If you've found that perfect position remember it just in case you want to fiddle a bit more!!
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

I'm jamie.

lol no worries there,ive got loads of notes made!
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Shaun.

I have done quite a bit of faffing around with my current KEF Q500's because of their Uni-Q driver but I have to say that they definitely need toeing in. Straight down the room is just a no - go but by turning them in slightly opens up a massive stereo image. Turning them in so that you can just see the outside face of each cabinet centres up the stereo focus to a more central image but for me, it just has to be that massive stereo image that wraps all around the room.

I'm howard.

Response curves are usually quoted toed in (on axis) by manufacturers. Firing speakers straight on (off axis) will usually dip the treble and give a wider experience. Personal preference really but flat is usually on axis.

I'm James.

I have my little tannoy's very slightly toed in,any more and they can become a tiring listen
    That took 5,mins to write, my tablet didn't recognise tannoy's and kept changing it to fanboys
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

I'm jamie.

Over the last few listening sessions I've suddenly realised I've been tapping my foot to the music without realising, that's gotta be a good thing lol
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Timothy.

Or a lot of penned up nervous energy, or even restless leg syndrome? Glad your enjoying it!
    Holbo TT-Nag 110-Croft phono/Innuos Zen MK2/LinnenberG Telemann DAC-Preamp/LinnenberG Allegro monoblocs/Duevel Venus/LinnenberG Maestro SE-Senn. 660S DH Labs cabling

Croft Series 7 amps, WLM La Scala, Naim Uniti1, Naim Nait XS3, Naim ND5XS2, Guru Junior

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast